Dragon Age : Origins

Soldier4Real

Comes out November 3rd. I'm pretty pumped. It's the continuation of the Baldur's Gate series if any of you guys have ever played it. Of course this is a RPG and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. But regardless this trailer is phenomenal.

<object width=&quot;853&quot; height=&quot;505&quot;><param name=&quot;movie&quot; value=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/-iFrHRaH0Os&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hd=1&quot;></param><param name=&quot;allowFullScreen&quot; value=&quot;true&quot;></param><param name=&quot;allowscriptaccess&quot; value=&quot;always&quot;></param><embed src=&quot;http://www.youtube.com/v/-iFrHRaH0Os&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&hd=1&quot; type=&quot;application/x-shockwave-flash&quot; allowscriptaccess=&quot;always&quot; allowfullscreen=&quot;true&quot; width=&quot;853&quot; height=&quot;505&quot;></embed></object>

cool, looks like it will/could be an awesome game, but beware, it is made by ea

It's made by Bioware - it's only published by EA. Big difference.

Same with BF2142 actually - it's developed by Dice (and they are the ones to blame for all the shit really). EA again just publishes it.

EA mostly develops their sports series in-house... like Fifa, Madden, NBA etc...

BTW this above is a cinematic. I usually get bored with RPGs' gameplay very very quickly... so meh.

I know that's not the actual game play but I could watch a two hour movie done like that.

So um... I actually purchased Mass Effect on the $10 weekend deal, and I'm very pleasantly surprised at how well the dialogues are done and how interesting the story is (so far ~20-30 minutes into the game, just barely scratching the surface). There are some aspects of the game like the squad management features, which are... going to grow on me I suppose, but the presentation of the game so far (cutscenes/dialogues/music/modelling/textures) have been nothing short of phenomenal. The dialogue options are actually something I have interest in clicking on and they are kept relatively short and to the point - just really, really well done again. Combat has been alright so far.

Granted, I have a really big interest in sci-fi, and not as much of an interest in dragons and shit, I am wondering if Dragon Age is a lot like Mass Effect, but in a fantasy setting, since it's the same studio, and if someone who has played both (like boondokk) can comment on whether I might like DA as well (if I don't particularly like fantasy)?

I can tell you right now they aren't. I haven't played DA yet but I know it's inline with it's predecessors, Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, this is supposed to be the &quot;sequel&quot; to those games. So it's more of a typical RPG. BTW Mass Effect rocked and the 2nd one comes out in January.

Soldier, save your money for ME2. Dragon Age wasn't too great.

ME2? I rather liked DA:O. It is pretty good as you go along. The game gets slightly laggy at times but for the most part it runs good.

I'm not saying it was a 3/10, rather a 6/10. It could have been much better. ;).

Soulzz did you play/like Neverwinter Nights or Baldur's Gate? I own both and loved both of them. I've always had a sweet spot for &quot;classic&quot; RPGs.

I've played Neverwinter Nights. Not Baldur's Gate, unfortunately. I loved NWN. Dragon Age may have better graphics, but I don't think it met the high expectations.

I don't know about Dragon Age, but Mass Effect continues to surprise me with just awesome shit.

After ~10 hours just in the Citadel doing stuff and reading/listening to background info, I finally got my ship and started going everywhere.

I can't even recall any recent games that have done this, but there were two &quot;WOW&quot; moments. One was when I first opened the galaxy map. The other was when I first started driving the Mako.

The whole game is so polished that it's very difficult not to like it.

I haven't had so much fun just driving and jumping the Mako around since Battlezone (PC version) came out back in the day. It's definitely got the &quot;exploration&quot; vibe big time.

The physics of the Mako are so good imo, that it puts even some driving games to shame... and the shaders on the terrain of the &quot;planetary landings&quot; are just amazingly well done.

Well, that game and Borderlands certainly have had me extremely surprised at what the Unreal 3 engine can do. I was definitely not aware that it was capable of quality such as this.

I have some Q's for Boon - or has anyone else played the game?

I picked this up a few days ago, and that's a few days of my life I'll never get back... having said that, they were extremely enjoyable days as I clocked about 40 hours of playtime in 3 days, which mostly consisted of waking up, eating, playing, eating, playing, eating, playing, sleeping. That's... about it. The game is damned addictive, and the storyline is quite good. So many different ways to do things.

One thing I was sort of disappointed about was the lack of a real open world feeling... the world itself felt kind of small, and I was hoping to get to visit the other lands (free marches, orlais, etc), but based on the storyline, that wouldn't have made much sense. Also, it would have been nice to be able to continue playing after the end. It says it lets you, but all of the locations are greyed out, and the only stuff you can do is the DLC stuff.

Still, overall it was a very good game. Definitely worth my time and money.

I also picked it up and agree with the world feeling too small. I actually fucked up and "broke" the game. There is one point were you are playing two sides in the Dwarf city. Well I tried to play both sides for too long now neither will talk to me. I completed everything else that I can but the game won't progress until I complete that task. There are a lot of posts over on the Bioware forums about it.

I beat it, it was good, but short. I think it could have been a lot longer if they added some more places to go that were significant. I am hoping they come out with an expansion to continue the storyline.

I beat it, it was good, but short. I think it could have been a lot longer if they added some more places to go that were significant. I am hoping they come out with an expansion to continue the storyline.

They will. Bioware is well known for doing that with their RPGs.

Short? You either have a different definition of short, or skipped a lot of side content. I was up to 40 hours on my game before I beat it my first time through. (40 hours is a lot these days)

Back