Domain Name Question

BOT#00001

When you get a domain name, can you easily put in another URL for it to point to? Or is it something that takes time/knowledge to configure?

Basically i want to register a domain name so its easy for people to remember, and then it will point to a facebook event page. Its for a party im helping throw and i want to put a nice easy to remember URL on the flyers.

i think you mean forwarding there are scripts that do that, it will forward in 3 seconds etc...

But if i have JUST a domain name, i wont have any webspace for scripts. I was hoping it was a tool built right into the the domain registration itself.

ah, good question, you should ask about that before purchasing the domain name from the company.

I can give you hosting for a forwarder (it's like one line in a HTML). My hosting is fairly reliable. Let me know.

As far as I know you HAVE to have hosting. The domain itself only points the browser to a DNS server which has to point to a host.

I can host subdomains on my hosting and I have some left over.

I talked to one and one and supposedly i can do it right from the domain tools. So i ordered one, plus it was free for a year so...score! Ill tell ya if i need any help after i get my email from them.

Well... it depends on the domain provider I guess. I use one where all you can do is edit the DNS servers; that's it!

They probably provide "hosting" for you just for that one-liner that forwards to a website... which is certainly nice of them :) .

1&1 allows you to forward your domain to another domain eg facebook.com/mypage

Back