Computer Dumb and Need Help =D

I'm working with Dorbykins via vent on picking out computer parts. We're getting him an ASUS board with an earlier AMD quad black edition AM2+ since its compatible with his DDR2 ram and an arctic cooling freezer 7. it's a solid, relatively upgradeable system that will last him another couple years or so and if he needs to get faster he can buy newer, more performance based ram.

Specifically which ASUS motherboard for the AMD quad black edition AM2+ were you planning on getting??? I've built a few of these in the past and have tried the two main motherboards by AMD for this setup.

In my professional opinion: the M3A32 was an almost perfect motherboard for this configuration. It rarely ever crashed (except on Crisis at high settings).

DO NOT get the M3N-HT!!!! I had so many problems with this motherboard that I ended up sending it back to newegg. Also, keep in mind that you'll most likely have to flash the BIOS with the latest version. When I purchased the M3A32 last year I had to do this in order to fix a flaw with the 1.0 version of the BIOS which caused it to crash on bootup about 7 times. The BIOS update completely fixed this problem and I have to say this was one of the best systems I had ever built. I also added 8GB of G-Skill memory, 500gb hard drive, Tagan 1100w power supply, Sapphire 4870 dual core video card.

I have a 500W PSU sitting around here somewhere, Antec. A little old, but it was the best of the best in the day.

If he has a gateway system then I doubt he can just throw any regular power supply in the box since they're proprietary systems and they configure the size to something non-standard like Dell does. This way their customers are forced to purchase any replacements from them. This is one of the main reasons why I hate proprietary systems.

So I luckly got a friend to get me a power supply that runs with it, but little old, but hey works.. Right now I'm downloading Vista 7 Ultimate, thank god I have people who love and just say, pay me back sometime. =D So, Soon to be back up and running, Appreciate everyone's help and input. =D

Lmfao I failed.. Windows 7 Ultimate, Shut up, I was to excited haha, I won't bother editing it cause I think its funny too. lol

Back