Change GPU=corrupt BF2142

sixer9682

I changed out my Nvidia 8800gt for an ATI 4870 and now the game says "invalid cd key" when I try to play online. I've tried the solution on BF2142 support pages by reentering my cd key and it has no effect. The only thing that corrects this situation is to uninstall and then reinstall the game and the patch. This is just messed up. Can anyone give me a halfway decent reason why changing the gpu messes up the game installation. That just does not make any sense to me...then again this is a product of EA/Dice. The bastards.010

Did you uninstall your NVIDIA graphics driver before you put in the ATi card?

Yup, uninstalled the Nvidia driver first, shut down, installed ATI gpu then restarted winxp. I installed the ATI driver, latest release, after winxp finished loading.

Well, I went ahead and unistalled the game and reinstalled it now the damn thing won't even open when click run bf2142. It starts to open and then crashes. I tried system restore, but it would not restore to any earlier point. This sucks.

Sounds to me like your 2142 settings aren't liking your new resolution for your graphics card. Go into your documents/user settings for 2142 and check the VideoSettings.con file. Adjust the resolution to 800x600@XXHz (Replace xx with your monitor's Hertz). I'd also recommend going to your 2142 shortcut properties and adding these command lines after the ": +szx 800 +szy 600. Try +szx 1024 +szy 768 if you don't want to do 800x600.

Usually when you change your graphics card, even if you do it right, complications can arrise such as the one you are currently experiencing.

This should work. If you have any questions on how to do this, come on Ventrilo and I'll be more then happy to help you out.

:D.

Try erasing your "My Documents\Battlefield 2142" directory. You'll lose all battlerecorder files/replays/settings/etc. so make sure to save these.

Try launching again.

Did you ever get this fixed?

Nope, not fixed I'm very fucking far from fixed. I tried erasing 2142 file from "my documents" and then the game wouldn't even open. I tried the resolution adjustment, still no love. So, once again I removed 2142 and tried to reinstall again. Now the installer crashes so I can't even get it back on my system. Totally fucked.

Well, I had fun reformatting my HD and reinstalling Winxp and all. The installer was messed up even after reinstalling Windows installer. The registry must have been well and truly screwed. I tried repairing it and no go. At least I'm back up and running. Bummer though.

It's not the system memory, I've checked it repeatedly. I think my Windows registry was just FUBAR. After reading some forum posts, I saw a lot of people had the same problem with the latest ATI drivers 8.10 but the earlier versions did not cause the same problems.

Oh, have you tried the Intel Burn test? [link=hyperlink url]http://www.ultimate-filez.com/files/IntelBurnTest.zip[/link]

It's a great utility for checking stability, but it can and will run your core temps up to 22C higher than anything out there! Make sure you've got good cooling before using this one.

I used this on all cores + memtest at the same time to find my max overclock...

http://sp2004.fre3.com/

Did the trick just fine for me.

I used your thing above too, checked out fine on a 30-times test...

I run boinc projects all the time on my PC even when gaming so my cores are always at 100% and are stable just fine.

When I do my next system build, I may consider doing overclocking. I'll take those links into consideration :D.

Forget about what I posted above. Orthos used to be a simple frontend for Prime to test on dual-cores. Prime seems to have updated their gui to support multicores so I recommend getting and testing with that (make sure to turn round-off checking to report errors otherwise it doesn't report):

Windows 32bit: http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v257.zip
Windows 64bit: http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p64v257.zip

Testing with HCI's memtest is also beneficial (simultaneously or otherwise):
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html

Nice. I haven't checked to see about an updated version in a while. I'll take a look at the updated version.

I might consider OCing on my current system. Is the Q6600 stock @ 2.4 GHz a good option for OCing?

Are you kidding me? You should be able to hit above 3ghz on the q6600... look up reports and how to online.

Just an update. My cousin recently switched video cards too; he went from an Nvidia 880GT to an Nvidia 260 and had problems as well. Not nearly as many as I had, (at first he could not log into online games and then had video corruption) but with the new generation of video cards BF2142 does not like the change.

I would seriously recommend uninstalling the game and reinstalling it after upgrading beyond one generation of your current video card. Great coding by DICE indeed.

from the EA support database:

What type of changes will require re-authentication?

It is impossible to provide a complete list of what qualifies as a new PC that would require re-authentication. A major upgrade to an operating system, or replacement of a significant degree of hardware could mean that an existing computer is recognized as "new" and will require re-authentication.

That is a securRom issue i believe
Heres a llink to that topic - i believe it could be of use.
[link=http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=20763&p_created=1225317481&p_sid=DUgCwyij&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzE3LDMxNyZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1uZXcgaGFyZHdhcmUgYmYyMTQy&p_li=&p_topview=1]EA?s SecuROM Digital Rights Management (DRM)[/link]

I don't think the securom used in BF2142 limits reinstalling or even checks hardware. I think it just checks for the DVD pretty much...

Where'd you pull that from?

Back