Campaign Warfare - details

OfftheRails

Thanks for your responses guys. As promised, here's a bit more detail for you. I'm keeping the exact maps and gamemodes under wraps for now, but I *can* tell you that there will be a series of scenarios, with the next battle being determined by who won the last one.

The two teams will be GREEN and YELLOW. Not RU and US, not Blue and Red. To minimize the number of restarts, you'll probably be playing RU for one round and US for the next.

Here's a bad diagram showing how it all fits together:

BadFlowChart.png

We start in the middle so the first round will be a "Fair Fight" scenario. If green win, we follow the green arrow to the next scenario. If yellow win, we follow the yellow arrow.

"Fair Fight" is both teams duking it out on a roughly symmetrical map.

"Push" scenarios are more-or-less equal, like the "Fair Fight". But they'll be a different gamemode.

"Last Stand" is your chance to win the match. But it's a small chance - the defenders will get a huge advantage in tickets, which will decrease each time we come to this stage.

"Counter" is the defending team's counter-attack. If you survive the counter-attack, you get another chance at winning. Otherwise, it's back to "Fair Fight".

It seems complicated written down, but it isn't really. Just follow the winners' arrow at the end of each round.

In general, the closer you get to victory, the more of an advantage your opponents will be given. But that advantage gets smaller and smaller as time goes on - so we won't be stuck with a stalemate all night long.

Some things you need to know:

• This is not going to be about flawlessly executing a predetermined strategy. I won't be revealing the maps or modes until the battle is imminent. This battle is a test of your ability to improvise, communicate and execute an untried plan.
  • One of the requirements to be a member of TBG is DEDICATION. Once you're chosen for your team, you will fight for that team with all your GUTS and BALLS and OTHER ORGANS until victory.
  • This event is only open to Founders, Head Admins, Admins and Recruits. No guests, ex-members, prospective members or curious onlookers.
  • The first thing we will do is have a warmup in Teamspeak and in server. This will be an opportunity for everybody to check their keybinds, set up their kits and pick the teams.
  • Teams will be picked by the captain. Every TBG member (including recruits) present in the warmup session will be eligible for selection. Captains will take turns to pick a team member. Both teams will consist of an equal number of players. That means there's a chance of someone being unpicked at the start of the game. They will be the first substitute for someone who gets disconnected/taken ill/set on fire. There will be no other substitutions except at my discretion.
  • I will remove any player at any time on request of their team captain. They will not be replaced until the next round.
  • These rounds will be extremely short. Don't expect a thousand-ticket slog; I'm aiming for a lot of short fights rather than a few long fights. When a round is over, we'll move straight into the next one. Don't spawn until I give the message.
  • Not all battles will be fair. The closer you are to winning, the more difficult your job will become.
  • If you lose a battle because I fucked something up, don't complain. There's a fair amount of guesswork involved in planning this. Think of the next battle, not the last. Any queries about the rules, or perceived unfairness, will be passed through your team captain.
  • Teamspeak. Each team will have their own channel. You can make sub-channels and sub-sub-channels if you like, however you want to organize things. It's up to you. Here's a guide to whisperlists if you want to get clever with the system. Up to you.
  • Baserape, MAV kills, vehicle stealing and all weapons and equipment are permitted.
  • Most rounds will start as soon as the map is loaded (referred to as Live On Restart or LOR) which will appear in a yell message. A few rounds will require a short setup phase, to give one team a headstart for example. In the setup phase, you may not do anything (spawning, moving, shooting...) without my explicit instructions. I will signal the start of the fight with a yell message - "WEAPONS FREE".
  • Anybody using an admin command will be removed from the match immediately, with no substitution. You can type in squad chat, team chat and general chat to your heart's content.
  • None of these rules apply to me. I won't be playing, but I will be present.
TL;DR: Listen very carefully. Don't spawn or attack until you hear from me that you can. In the setup phase, do as you're told.

I haven't decided exactly what the game settings will be just yet. Most likely killcam and 3D spotting off, minimap and 3rd person cam on, most other settings default. Ticket counts will be lowish. How do you guys feel about team damage being on?

If you haven't signed up yet, here's the thread: http://www.tbgclan.com/f17/upcoming-bf3-event-campaign-warfare-23032/

Thanks to all those who showed up. I think things went pretty well all considered. We managed seven rounds, seven different maps, and five different gamemodes. All in two and a half hours of BF3 mayhem.

Results.png

Not getting the turnout I was expecting, I had to improvise a whole new maplist on the hoof. My thanks go to the guys who put up with me getting to grips with procon, not knowing what map we were playing on and being generally crap.

So, the question(s) is(are):

Would you guys like to run another event in the near future?

And what days/times would be best?

You seem to put alot of work into this Rails.

Good job man we all appreciate it.

Its a shame that half the people were not even willing to play.

Thanks tho

Im Game to play, tried to be there tonight but had to watch rug rats as wife is out of town with my older kids for soccer tourny.

This event was fantastic! 10/10 would play again. It would have been wonderful for more folks to show, but 5v5 Gun Master on Ziba Tower was some of the most intense BF3 gunplay I have experienced. Yellow Team FTW!
Edit: Shout out to Offtherails for a wonderful job managing the playlist on the fly

Back