Battlefield 4 sticking to modern warfare

BritPatriot89

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/13/battlefield-4-sticking-to-modern-warfare/ said:
Battlefield 4 sticking to modern warfare

Battlefield 4 will be set in modern times, DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson revealed at GDC Europe today. The game, which was announced with no pomp last month, will have a beta sometime next year, but little else has been revealed. However, with a lag time of six years between Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3, why did the studio go with Battlefield 4 so quickly instead of heading back to Bad Company?

"There's a lot of things inspiring us as to how the franchise will move on. Everything from fans' feedback, to market research and, of course, what we want to build ourselves. It's not just one single thing," said Troedsson, continuing with a hint of sarcasm. "And, yes, I know Battlefield 4 is probably the most creative name we ever could come up with. I can't comment any more on that games because it's all secret."

However, he did go on to say, "We still want to stay in this genre, the modern day as it is. We feel this is a place we can be and continue with the series. Battlefield 4 can live in this space and be very successful."

Hinting, in conclusion, "That doesn't mean there might not be a Bad Company game again in the future."

Such a disappointment, was really hoping for 2143 :( If the game's good I don't mind moving on... but it's not what I hoped for.

If they did that would be new to the franchise I believe. Knowing what I know about that little war it may be a good map. Or at least I can see it being a decent map and a change of pace, but I don't think it has the appeal as other larger skirmish's and battles. Sucks about 2143 though. I bet they release it around the same time. We'll see. Wasn't there a discussion somewhere about 2143?

So help me EA if buttfuck 4 comes before 2143. I will not buy any of your games any more. I promise!!!
"We still want to stay in this genre, the modern day as it is."
Since the dawn of FPS. Thats all we've been playing dumb ass. MODERN WAR. Its been done over and over and over again and again. also by other labels. Hows about you boyz get it out of the gear your stuck in.

Bad Company 3 would be nice, I can't see BF4 being any different to BF3.

Some new maps would be cool. Maybe some hardware updates - F22 or F35's. Maybe some carpet Bombers?
How about some sea action? Lets us have some off shore battleships to throw some VW bugs on shore!

5 years is long enough for the technology to move on. Refractor to Frostbite was a huge leap. I doubt BF4 will be anything other than a glorified map pack for BF3, with most of the weapons and vehicles we're used to shifted to the expansion packs. Too soon, EA. Too damn soon.

Deathtouch I don't think any of the new developers were around for the original BF1942. I doubt they even knew the boats, ships, and submarines moved or even had guns. It's a shame really that they never really followed the original games idea. All they needed to do was introduce the new engine and a few new maps in any of the series and it would have done better than it has. The original game was great. Really large maps, all kinds of vehicles, all kinds of everything really. It was the best they ever did and it has steadily been developed into more and more of a COD type game. Smaller and smaller maps and what have you. This pretty much sums up how they feel in this quote here: "and, of course, what we want to build ourselves"

Commander mode would be a redeeming feature but I seriously doubt it.

Back