Battlefield 3 will not support Win XP

Not to get too far off topic, but do you use any of the Editing format software like StyleEase or EndNote? They make citing and doing the reference pages a breeze. Please tell me you're not doing this manually still, I'd hang myself for you out of frustration!
Well, don't string up just yet, sir. :)

I use a combination of EasyBib: Free Bibliography Maker - MLA, APA, Chicago citation styles and doing it by hand because I never bought a script from them. The only type of editors I use are ConText Freeware Text Editor for basic coding ( php, MySQL, and sometimes writing term papers ) on the desktop and I use TextWrangler Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler for similar stuff I do on my MacBook Pro.

I'm currently feeling like a real peanut because I've never heard of EndNote. Going to find out more about it as soon as I hit the reply button.

Well, I'm certainly going to give it a go. However, I've got spring semester classes that start early ( next Monday ) so I'm not sure If I'll be doing this right away. With 18 credit hours hanging over my head, I tend to get lost in research, internships, and writing those damn glorious papers that I just [sarcasm]LOVE[/sarcasm] writing.

You guys have got my attention. Especially with this XP mode for certain programs. Shock, you care to elaborate on this processor business you brought up about XP mode? While we may have started around the same time, some of us have fared better than others when keeping up with technology. LoL! Unfortunately, I'm only about 50% up to speed.

Still appreciating all the input, guys!

Check this link it will explain the Intel Virtualization Technology and on the left you can check by processor class which ones support it. If you are running an AMD processor check thier site for which processors support it. Intel® Virtualization Technology List

I'm currently feeling like a real peanut because I've never heard of EndNote. Going to find out more about it as soon as I hit the reply button.

EndNote is the premier software for any citation style...but it's pricey which is why I also mentioned StyleEase. Personally, and I've used both, I like StyleEase better because it's easier to use you just download, install, and run. Endnote is more comprehensive with the number of styles it has but it's almost like you need a class on EndNote just to use it properly. Plus, StyleEase is $35.00 downloaded-that's easy on any student's budget. And, if you know any professor for a university, they can get a copy for free (for you). Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Check this link it will explain the Intel Virtualization Technology...
Well, le tme tell ya what I figured out at that link:

Intel Core2 Duo Desktop Processor

E7500

* SLB9Z : No
* SLGTE : Yes

While I will very much pretend to know what this means here and now, rest assured I will simply be sending someone a PM asking which processor I need to upgrade to when I do my next system upgrade. Thanks for hammering the final nail in the coffin of what was the last hope I had of believing I still knew anything about computers.

Fuck! I'm gonna have to give back my geek badge, now :)

EndNote is the premier software for any citation style...but it's pricey which is why I also mentioned StyleEase. Personally, and I've used both, I like StyleEase better because it's easier to use you just download, install, and run. Endnote is more comprehensive with the number of styles it has but it's almost like you need a class on EndNote just to use it properly. Plus, StyleEase is $35.00 downloaded-that's easy on any student's budget. And, if you know any professor for a university, they can get a copy for free (for you). Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
I'm really liking StyleEase... I like EndNote, but after reviewing some things on their website and YouTube, it does seem a bit complex. For people who are going to function full time in a field that requires the power of EndNote, I'm sure it's great for those who will use it professionally. But I'm not planning to remain in academia forever. I'm looking to get my M.A. and go work for the V.A. ( Hey, that rhymes! ) So, StyleEase might just be perfect. Especially considering the methods I use now.

Thanks much for the heads up!

Support for the Intel® Processor Identification Utility

That page may explain a little. The codes give manufacturer locals, dates, steppings, etc. Stepping is just a fancy way of saying revision within that cpu's lifecycle, and is one of the most important things when looking for a good overclocking cpu. CPUID is a great tool for finding this, along with other info such as voltages, cpu speed, memory speed, and other goodies. For instance, C1 is a more recent revision than B2, etc. Typically the production process gets tweaked, resulting in a chip that may require less voltage, maybe runs a little cooler, etc., for Intel at least. Probably the same for AMD. I'm an Intel whore though, don't know a lot about the green team. When the time comes there are plenty of folks on here that will be more than happy to help. My suggestion, Sandy Bridge :) I want to cry when I see it compared to my current chip :( Oh well. Sorry for the long post :)

Bummer! The ID utility told me this:

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: Yes
MMX(TM): Yes
Intel(R) SSE: Yes
Intel(R) SSE2: Yes
Intel(R) SSE3: Yes
Intel(R) SSE4: Yes
Intel(R) AES-NI: No
Intel(R) AVX: No
Enhanced Halt State: Yes
Execute Disable Bit: Yes
Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: No
Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes
Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: No
But, at least I know what I need to do now...

* ...heads out back to dig shallow grave big enough for desktop computer.

Hey, guys, thanks for all the info and the links. The help is Much appreciated!

CryptKickR,

I am glad you found the answer you were looking for now at least you know the processor you have won't support the Virtualization Technology and that you need upgrade your processor before spending the extra money on Win7 Pro.

This is what I was trying to explain to you last night on Ventrilo but you seemed to have your head too much in the game to care what I was saying. :)

I've never had an issue running any software with Win7. I do have Ultimate and it supports XP mode but I've never had to use it.

If you are still running XP it's seriously time to upgrade you're system!

I am glad you found the answer you were looking for now at least you know the processor you have won't support the Virtualization Technology and that you need upgrade your processor before spending the extra money on Win7 Pro.

You don't need a processor that support's Virtualization to run Win7. That said, if you are going to upgrade, wait until the P67 series of motherboards comes out-probably at the end of this month. The new Intel processors kick ass at stock speeds and are quad core and something like the sandy 2500 will run about $200 but the motherboards are cheap and for about $500 you can upgrade by leaps and bounds over what you have now, including Win 7.

You don't need a processor that support's Virtualization to run Win7. That said, if you are going to upgrade, wait until the P67 series of motherboards comes out-probably at the end of this month. The new Intel processors kick ass at stock speeds and are quad core and something like the sandy 2500 will run about $200 but the motherboards are cheap and for about $500 you can upgrade by leaps and bounds over what you have now, including Win 7.
Perfect! Then it's settled... PM me with the cost of parts and labor and an address to send the check to. I have a few requests I'd like to add, but nothing too big.

Perfect! Then it's settled... PM me with the cost of parts and labor and an address to send the check to. I have a few requests I'd like to add, but nothing too big.

lol Sure, and did I mention my consultant fee for purchasing and assembly?

Seriously, when those motherboards and cpus come out shortly, you can get them then. Right now, if you're really interested, start looking at the previews or reviews of the P67 boards so you know what you want, more or less when the time comes.

Yup, I'll be looking it up soon. Probably going to have many more questions since this all seems like I'm starting over again from scratch. Appreciate the heads up, bro. Going to check out that Sandy Bridge architecture, as well.

Your right you don't need a processor that supports Virtualization Technology to run Win 7 or Win7 Pro but from what I gathered he wanted to be able to run Win7 in XP Mode so that it would support some of his older programs and for that you do need a processor that supports Virtualization Technology. Intel terms it "Virtualization Technology" while AMD refers to it as "V virtualization"

PS. I am almost sure all the newer motherboards support it but it never hurts to check otherwise just purchasing the right processor won't do the trick : )

Your right you don't need a processor that supports Virtualization Technology to run Win 7 or Win7 Pro but from what I gathered he wanted to be able to run Win7 in XP Mode so that it would support some of his older programs and for that you do need a processor that supports Virtualization Technology. Intel terms it "Virtualization Technology" while AMD refers to it as "V virtualization"

PS. I am almost sure all the newer motherboards support it but it never hurts to check otherwise just purchasing the right processor won't do the trick : )

you don't need a proc that supports virtualization to do xp mode annymore. you can ether do the non microsoft way and use xp mode with vmware or go all microsoft and use their virutal pc with the update.

Back