Bake your video card back to life

amazon3d

Someone over at the [H] forums tried this. [link=hyperlink url]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792[/link]
Basically he took his 8800gtx that died and stripped it down then put it in the oven for 8-10mins at 385f.
Let it cool then put the parts back on and tried it and it worked.
12437048240j5kfVZHRv_1_1_l.jpg

How did he get it to work, that's what I want to know!

Solder came loose from or something of that sort. Baking it again made the solder reconnect. At least that is what everyone suggested happened. When they make the video cards they put them into an oven to cook the solder on, sometimes the solder doesn't properly bake all the way and they wind up cracking after some time. Re-baking the card made the solder reconnect and hence it started working again.

i thought solder took 600-800 watts to make a proper joint.

im surprised some of the plastic components didnt melt.

They are designed to be baked, that is how they make them in the first place.

Depending on the solder used. I've seen soldering ovens as low as 300 degrees (f). I can see this fixing a few cold solder joints. Timing would be crucial. I had heard people were doing this to fix the cards when they started giving them problems (Misc. vertical lines, etc.).

He was having Red Vertical lines, he did some research and found other players with the same problem and they tried it and it worked so he joined the crowd.

[quote1243858587=HeatSurge]
What's the point?!? I don't get it.
[/quote1243858587]

In case the current computer takes a shit on you and your a cheap ass.

Back