Anyone running I7-8700k

JWR046

Just update rig. Was running overclocked haswell(gen 4). Ran great hence I was pushing off upgrading. Let me tell you the 8th gen upgrade was worth it. Just starting to overclock. A few clicks and went from 3.7 to 4.7. Will be going to 5 GHZ if I can get everything stable. Still running 980 GTX OC. Waiting for next NVidia GPU which should be out in a few months... so they say.

Anyway the M2 SSD has this thing booting to windows in about 3 seconds. Running G-Skill trident memory. Stock 3600 cas 16. Booted right into that speed without issues. memory can be a PIA.

Yeah I just upgraded to an 8700k. with an H100i I was able to get to 5 with no issues. As long as you've got a solid cooler you should be fine. Getting past 5 is when you start to have issues because of the shitty thermal paste intel uses in between the IHS and the PCB. I'm sure @RainMotorsports can explain it in better detail.

Not sure why Fabio thinks I'd have anything to add unless this is about my 5ghz on air attempt back in 2011. Never got that past 4.7. I've never delidded in my life but had I ever gotten my 3770k upgrade I probably would have.

I'm kind of bored with overclocking after messing with the 6th gen. Getting it to stay at turbo. Going a tad past is easy. That 1Ghz over stock turbo is what got my blood rushing back in the day.

I had a 8700k delided at 5.0ghz, never got over 53c, what temps you get?

I have it running at 4.7 now which was pretty easy. Did not even touch cpu voltage and left at auto. Voltage maxes at 1.30. Also have turbo running at same speed which you need to set.

full load I am 55c. I have a good case and am running the EVGA 280 cooler. You and sixer have the crazy cooling rigs. I never went that far... yet.

I assume going to 5.0ghz it will get into 65c +/- which is still fine.

Back