Any chance that the ping limit on the BF3 server could be lowered?

Nemesis

Was just playing on there for a while and the lag was terrible. Average ping must have been around 150, mine was 23. Some pings where over 200.

I've played for the most part only that server now for years...the overall "team" play has diminished so much it's hard to play with the either intentional or otherwise just lame stuff I witness over and over again. Looking for a new comparable game now. <3 TBG

I think that the best overall FPS is Battlefield 4, lots of servers are still running it.
A new game that needs to get fixed is 'Hell Let Loose'.
Another new game not out yet is http://deadsidegame.com/ looks promising.
Not much else around.

can't even play anymore high pingers in my opinion, makes it almost unplayable, yes I've heard the latency vs. ping information, . Frustrated.

I’ve lowered the latency a bit. Latency filter shuts off around midnight till the morning. It helps keep the server afloat overnight with overseas players.

Squad is a great game for FPS. We do have a server for it and hell let loose is another promising game

Thanks for lowering the latency Matt-aka-Fast.
I tried playing BF3 yesterday and it was terrible. I then tried BF4 and it was terrible as well, only two servers seemed to run okay.
I think that the problem yesterday was something to do with the Internet. I will try BF3 again later today.

I need to ask a question about the clan not using their clan tag when they are playing. It would be nice to know who is playing.

150-200 ms players on a gaming server do NOT create latency for YOU. No, they do NOT "lag" the server either. No, they do not create packet loss for you. No, they do not affect your "hit reg" either. These are all a fallacy I hear quite often on these gaming servers.. Some of you younger folk would shit a brick of hard cheddar if you would of saw some of us game on our 56k modems with 200-300 ping on Quake 2.

Last edited:
150-200 ms players on a gaming server do NOT create latency for YOU. No, they do NOT "lag" the server either. No, they do not create packet loss for you. No, they do not affect your "hit reg" either. These are all a fallacy I hear quite often on these gaming servers.. Some of you younger folk would shit a brick of hard cheddar if you would of saw some of us game on our 56k modems with 200-300 ping on Quake 2.

I'm not so sure. I've played as a high pinger vs low pingers before and it can very well be an advantage. I seem to notice a difference. I'm talking good connections, no packet loss, just a difference in ping. A good player is very difficult to kill if they are in a good position and have a high ping.

That said, I understand that it's hard to implement a ping limit for an old game like BF3. You still want to keep the server population up.

Remember that a game like Quake2 doesn't transfer as much data as a Battlefield game.
If you have a low ping against a high ping you are at a disadvantage due to timing issues.

Some of Battle(non)sense test videos:

interesting read High Pingers Kill Hitreg

interesting read 2 Showdown: High vs. Low Ping Player

interesting read 3 Troubleshooting - Network Graph & Performance Icons

interesting read 4 Netcode 101 - What you need to know

Last edited:
Game engines could play a factor. Quake and unreal engine specifically. It’s not really latency as problem, it’s if you have packet loss or if you’re maybe spiking that could make things difficult shooting them. But just having a stable relatively high ping shouldn’t be the problem.

Peacemaker, you are absolutely not wrong on some of what you said. A low pinger will always have an advantage vs a higher ping. However, I was just pointing out the latency issue.

Nemesis, its doesn't matter. Back then we were dealing with at the high end T-1's and OC48's for backbone. Obviously we have improved technology since then. I repeat again, 150 ms to 200ms. It's not going to affect YOU personally. A bunch of 700-900 ms players connections to server . Yes, that is when packets start getting flooded. Matt and TBG actually have that 200ms cut off perfectly set up. I would hope they would not mess with it, personally. The only thing that is being accomplished here by lowering it is you're just cutting off players of playing on a server.

Matt puts it perfectly also. As long as you have a solid 150-200ms connection,and its not spiking. There shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Back