AMD Unveils ‘Istanbul’ Six-Shooter Opteron

ErikStenger

AMD has shown off its first working demonstration of its counter punch to Intel, a six-core Opteron processor code-named “Istanbulâ€ÂÂ.

Istanbul is a pretty straight forward socket upgrade over AMDs current Shanghai Opterons. A 45nm processor with 6 MB of L3 cache that fits into a Socket-F style mainboard, only now with six cores rather than Shanghai’s four cores. The end result is that Istanbul will provide a direct drop-in upgrade for existing Socket-F systems without the need to change major components or perform software upgrades/changes.

AMD had originally stated that Istanbul processors would become available in the second half of this year (2009), however no other information has been released as to exactly when we could expect to see them becoming publicly available. Though, with the recent working demonstration of Istanbul, it may be safe to say that we could expect them slightly earlier than originally projected.

AMD demonstrated the Istanbul six-core and ran an identical Shanghai system beside it and performed Stream based benchmarks, both with HyperTransport 3 active (note that HyperTransport 3 is not currently available in shipping Shanghai products). The Shanghai system configured with 16-cores produced a throughput in the range of 25,000 MB/sec. while the 24-core Istanbul configuration produced about 42,000 MB/sec.. That is nearly double the performance gained by the addition of only fifty-percent more cores.

This gain in performance is attribued to a feature AMD calls a probe filtering or properly put, a snoop filtering, which functions to reduce traffic on socket-to-socket HyperTransport links by storing an index of all caches and preventing unnecessary coherency synchronization requests. Current Opterons use a broadcast-based probe protocol, sending probe requests to all sockets.

AMD is currently planning a full lineup of six-core Opterons based on Istanbul including low-power HE versions and high-performance SE models, all within customary Opteron power and thermal envelopes.

i dont think a link to more details is going to help me understand... lol

Hopefully this will come to the game server market soon so we can start running an even more powerful box :).

It's a server processor. Socket F(uck lol?).

Six cores... meh. Nice for servers, but for current and near-future gaming, zero to none benefit from the extra cores, even beyond two in most cases.

It would be nice if you do encoding or other production work though ;-)

Six cores, I'm wondering if you will be able to get enough throughput to be worth that many cores, heck we dont even know what the speeds will be. Now if they start at 2ghz and go up this might be a nice processor indeed. One might wonder what would happen with 4 of these in a server board would do ^_^ 24 cores of yummm.........

I think they are coming out with a 24 core one, just on one CPU.. that will be INSANE!!! :).

Wow.. that literally looks like a hunk'a'junk!!! Nice!

You'd have to design some serious software to manage 6 cores. If you used a box like ours, that would be 12 cores for you mathematically disadvantaged folks. As of right now, Vista can't even support above 4. And if Vista can't, we KNOW XP and Windows 2000 (yes, some servers still run it) can't. These servers would be very new, very costly, and most likely a bitch to maintain. Or they could be amazing and make me look like an idiot for writing anything at all. Who knows, eh?

Back