AMD Phenom X4 9950 B.E.

Gilup

I just replaced my AMD 6000+ with a AMD Phenom X4 9950 CPU. There was a big improvement in gaming FPS. I run a SLI rig and I don't know if it was the quad core or the level 3 cache that's helping out but man what a impressive CPU for the money.

I am not trying to brag by any means. I just want to let any one to know if their thinking about getting this CPU that in my book it's worth the money. I heard that after the new year this CPU might even hit prices as low as 140 bucks. Newegg has it for 170 free shipping.

I've had that same processor in a system for 3-4 months along with a RAID 0; and the system ran quick and stable...without overclocking. I would suggest the 9850 the 9950 is just an overclocked version. Good luck with your AMD.

Are these the new Phenom's that can supposedly overclock on air-cooling with ease to 4.0 GHz?

Nah, these do about 3.2 on average I think... higher if you have some more serious cooling.

The first Phenom II's are going to be released in February 2009, rumor has it...

BTW buy the 9950 BE (black edition = unlocked multiplier) if you want to overclock more easily...

what OS are you using the Phenom X4 9950 on? i was reading about vista 64bit problems

Vista 64bit problems?!? Fud most likely...

The early Phenoms had some kind of internal bug (TLB Errata) which made them crash occasionally (on all systems) during high loads, but it was addressed initially through bios updates for the affected processors (which nerfed performance sadly in some apps) and now all Phenoms are A-Ok with no bugs and full performance... maybe that's what you read??

well, i guess it doesnt matter. i have a socket AM2 (asus crossfire) and amd x2 6400+ (dual 3.2ghz). i wanted to try a quad core but that = new mobo.

Did you mean Crosshair? That's what I have now. I just did a bios update to 1207 and my am2+ 9950 works great. I've had it for a week no issues. I wouldn't recommend updating the bios unless you are going to run the am2+ quad CPU. There has been known issues with the 1207 and dual core cpu like the 6000+

Ya I read quadcore worked with bios updates for most AM2 boards... haven't tried it myself though :)

I was thinking of getting that processor. Its motherboard that I have to pick out now. On newegg its either the first or the second most expensive one that I want.

I recommended this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136044
to Stargoat to use with this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103285
processor (the processor is OEM so if you don't have a heatsink/fan, get an aftermarket imo - much better than stock usually).

I think he actually got these exact 2 - you should ask him to see if they work fine...

Edit: The processor seems to be "deactivated" lmao... I think because there's a 125W out now, so just get that I guess... it comes with a cooler too if you're into stock stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103291

Older chipset, more expensive for useless features (tri sli, onboard video) imo... but up to you.

Expect the Phenom II's to be somewhere above the core2, but lower than the i7 clock-per-clock...

Also, updated rumor (lol) has it Q3 2009 is when the Phenom II's will hit so it might be a while...

I hope the Phenom II's are going to be much lower priced then some of the Core 2 Quad's.

I here U there about the prices.

That DFI board that heat pointed out above is a very nice one. I was looking to replace my current board (crosshair) cause I thought I flash my bios wrong and my board would post( I fixed it ) but a lot of the boards that support the AM2+ had on board video......yuk. To many features these days......lol i

Your right about old chipset thats why its at my girlfriends place. Current system:
ASUS Rampage Formula
Q9950
(2) Velociraotor RAID 0
4GB DDR2 1200
(2) Sapphire 4870 X2's

I would love AMD to come out with something better than Intel; but AMD just doesnt overclock.

I think the days of AMD dominance (aka Pentium III/4 pwnzage) are gone... they have said they're going to focus on the midrange for now, although I'm sure if they come up with something extraordinary for cheap they'll jump on it as if onto a huge dick, but I really doubt it - especially with their ongoing financial/market pressures/issues.

On a sidenote, I very much doubt the Phenom II's will be cheaper than comparable core2's. They're probably going to be just about the same...

I still think AMD is going to come up with something; look what the just did to Nvidia.

Back