2142 Problems - Help

=GOB=Gunchicken

I just installed Photoshop CS4 onto my computer. After the installation, it works just fine and all of the tools work properly.

However, whenever I try to play 2142 something lags the hell out of my game play. I can't turn around without lagging like shit. My ping is under 60 and the only things running are Bf2142, ts, and sometimes xfire. Other than the fact that my computer is not a gaming computer I dont know what's wrong.

Initially, I had the CS4 folder in my C drive, but then I copy and pasted it onto my external hard drive. In hopes that it would solve my lag issues. Unfortunately it made no difference.

Another issue I am facing is that whenever I alt+esc out of the game, the mouse doesn't show up. I can move it around and hope that it high lights an icon on my desktop, but it's not visible. I often have to get back in the game, escape to desktop, and repeat until the damn thing shows up again.

I have absolutely no idea what's wrong. If you guys could offer some suggestions that would be great, because as of now, I am totally unable to play 2142.

Even more weird, whatever is wrong with my computer, doesn't affect BF2. As some of you noticed when I was playing last night.

Thanks

~Gunchicken

Have you done a defrag recently? Did you make any changes to your computer other then installing Photoshop? Did this problem start occurring after Photoshop was installed?

I had the same thing happen before. At the time I was overclocking like hell and I had to adjust (relax) my memory timing in the bios. Once I did that it ran great as usual, but before then I lagged ass even with a good ping like you've got now. Also, do you have anything running in the background when you game that you didn't have before?

As far as defrag, I had done one about 2 weeks ago. I also did a quick disk cleanup the other day to help alleviate some memory and space. I haven't done a defrag after the PS installation however.

When I play, the only things that are in the background are teamspeak, xfire, and my virus protection but none of that has ever effected my gameplay in the past. I think it has something to do with downloading Photoshop. Maybe it requires a lot of memory or space. Not sure.

I will do a defrag now, and hope that it will help a bit. I'd hate to quit playing a game I love just because my computer is sh*t lol.

How much space is left on your HDD? My guess is that you have too many things starting up with windows. In XP; start; run; type: msconfig; after that click on the tab "Startup." In that tab is a bunch of services that load into memory when windows starts up; When you uncheck the box is does not disable the program; it will start up whenever you decide to use it. If you have Vista just type msconfig in the search bar.

Do you have a system tools program that will clean up the registry? I had problems like you describe after updating some drivers and running photoshop and removed 2142, ran the cleanup, then reinstalled 2142 then the patches and all worked well again.

Back