144hz Monitors

thenamesgart

Trying to figure out which 27inch monitor to go for, found BenQ XL2730Z and ROG Swift PG278Q. Over 100 bucks difference in pricing, looking to see if anyone has any first hand experience with these 2 monitors. Also, anyone looking to take take asus 24inch 144hz monitor off my hands when I make a purchase for maybe 150?

Love my 27in BenQ.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I have the older 144 Hz BenQ 27 model. XL2720Z Love it and highly recommend it. Went from a 1ms 60Hz 28in to this, lost an inch but gained the 144Hz. When there's a 30in 144 Hz, 1 ms response monitor that I can afford, I'll be all over it :p

I have the older 144 Hz BenQ 27 model. XL2720Z Love it and highly recommend it. Went from a 1ms 60Hz 28in to this, lost an inch but gained the 144Hz. When there's a 30in 144 Hz, 1 ms response monitor that I can afford, I'll be all over it :p

Same here, having the same monitor. I had asus before, a 24 inch model, VG248QE, it does not look any close to the Benq, and after 2 months, the internal power block started to beep.
But the Benq is perfect.

You couldn't go wrong either way. Spec-wise, they are virtually identical.

They both have USB and headphone ports, no integrated speakers (not a big deal honestly) and both lack G-Sync support, although BenQ XL2730Z does have FreeSync support. Although I can't notice a difference with FreeSync/G-Sync on or off other than in their respective tech demos. In those cases I do notice clearer motion, but in actual real-world gaming, Free/G-Sync doesn't do anything for it.

I would give the ROG PG278Q the edge simply for its on-screen displays that you can turn on. Timers for your MMO games, and a crosshair in the dead-center of your screen for others (won't do shit for Insurgency due to our dead aim mechanic). I personally think it's useless in most games, but when I was using the crossbow in Rust (which lacks a crosshair) I became pretty deadly with it.

For monitors that are virtually identical, it's up to you if $100 is worth the extra HUD displays the ROG offers. I'm also a bit of a Asus fanboy so that would factor into my own equation, but it's probably not a problem for you.

So if I were a Rust gamer, I'd go with ROG... but otherwise the BenQ is the better buy, imo.

Last edited:
Another thing that im worrried about, is that both monitors seem to have alot of rma's (bleeding & dead pixels). Think ill go for benq (usually only buy asus products), also looking at getting the asus 27in 1440 Ips panel

I have the rog swift and it's second to none in response time. Rog has it all- gsync, 144hz and 2560x1440. The only bad is that it is a TN panel and not a IPS. IPS panels have a sharper image and better viewing angles, but the IPS does not have the response time the TN panels have. Unless you have money to burn, you may want to hold off for the new wave of technology coming in 2016. Nvidia plans on releasing it's Pascal series GPU that is suppose to be 10 x faster (probably at 10x the cost. lol). Then after that, we should see another new breed of monitors to support it. Take into consideration by next fall or winter Battlefield 5 will support the new technology that nvidia and amd deliver to us video hungry gamers.

Going to run dual monitors, one being 144hz tn and the other an ips panel both being 27in running 1440 resolution(one for fps games and the other for rpg and web browsing). I really wouldnt wait for the new tech to come tho, monitor tech is really slow to evolve. Resolutions always go up, but the tech behind it is slow to evolve imo. Im all for the faster gpu's, just running single 980ti atm. im pretty sure there will be a decent performance hit going up to 1440 from 144hz 1080.

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread, as I'm in the search for a monitor at this point.

I've been gaming on Eyefinity for so long, but it's lost it's luster. Part of it is because the monitors I am using are sub par, part of it is because I've found I actually do better when I can focus on just the one screen. I find more often than not, I'm just setting the one screen to play and letting the sides be browsers/whatever.

I want a 144hz, and I want a 2k+ screen, and I'm looking at 26" or bigger.

Would these two - the above mentioned BenQ and ASUS be the meal ticket? Considering everything, a $700 purchase is stout change.

These are the three I am trying to decide between. The Acer is in the mix seems like less features, but if it gives me the picture, the issues with the stand are a moot point.

Acer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009769
ASUS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405
BenQ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9FT3G95993

I've had all 3 brands of monitors... If you're looking for picture, I think the benq edges out the other 2. The other 2 brands are just a little bit duller in terms of color.

The other thing that I'm fighting with too is the AMD/nV Sync options.

I don't know if I am going to go with AMD the next time I upgrade. These 280x's did nothing but piss me off, and my previous generation cards (7970's, 6970's) have given issue as well. But when I was using Eyefinity, they were the only way to go.

That is the one thing that has me looking so hard at the ASUS - it's GSync.

The other two are both FreeSync.

Now there's the question of 1080/2k/4k.

I believe 1080 is going to be "done" in the next year or so. Do you think we'll go straight to 4k, or do you think 2k will be around for 2-4 years before things are stable enough for 4k?

It's already been announced that the new version past Pascal from Nvidia, I forget the name, will be released in 2017. So yeah, in about a year it will be bypassed.

But, the 1080 is supposed to be able to run 4k at 60-100hz with one card.
My preference would be to get 4k, but between the huge cost of 4k 100hz monitors and rapid changes in gpu technology over the next two years, I'd either get a mid level 4k or wait for a high end one in 2017.

In the interim, 2k is good and if you can find one cheap enough I say get that now unless you want to wait for another year maybe year and a half.

Back