$100 Gaming PC turned 10 Terabyte file server.

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
I sent my wife to pick this rig up a week or so ago. Has an FX-6100 that I hope to replace with an 8 core at some point. Swapped the ram out to 16GB. Swapped the GT 650 out for an RX 460. The 512 GB Samsung PM851 went into another machine so the boot drive is now a 128GB PM841. Slapped 5 2TB drives in and cleaned the cabling up. Still missing a fan for the side panel.

DSC_7551.jpg

DSC_7552.jpg

DSC_7553.jpg

its crazy what people are getting rid of now....picked a nice set up with a 4930k, X79 mother with 32gb of memory, 2 970's in SLI, 2 512gb SSD in raid for OS with 2 3tb storage drives, 1000 watt seasonic PSU all in a coolermaster 942 that was the limited edition Nvidia version for all of 300 bucks last week....already sold the dam thing to someone that wanted a editing rig with a upgraded GTX1070 in it....i made almost 500 bucks on the whole thing

its crazy what people are getting rid of now.

The case and 512gb PM851 were definitely worth the $100 alone. The rest of the hardware... Eh. If I hadn't spent money ubering her there and back I could have flipped it minus the SSD to this dad that hit me up looking for a fortnite machine for a decent profit.

The motherboard being revision 1.4 added a little value as I don't have to settle for a 95 watt FX8 series it will run 125 watt chips.

I tried to add two extra SATA power connectors to plug in the DVD drive and get it to 13TB. But the PSUs 20 gauge wiring and my 18 gauge crimp connectors were scarier than molex adapters. I was running Dell sourced splitters in the old file server but decided not to risk it this time around.

what you dont have molex to sata adapters laying around???....i have a whole draw full of them

dam never seen that before in almost 25 years of screwing with computers.....i have seen ones on power supplies do it but never a adapter....guess i will be checking all the ones i used from now on with a OHM meter before installing them and powering them on....

dam never seen that before in almost 25 years of screwing with computers.....i have seen ones on power supplies do it but never a adapter....guess i will be checking all the ones i used from now on with a OHM meter before installing them and powering them on....

I mean I have never had one fail. I did have a drive flair up from the molex to sata powered sata dock in my case sometime back and I haven't used them since. But I also haven't used them since power supplies have started coming with SATA. I felt safer using splitters that Dell has put in their own machines. But looking into the issues specific to molded end plugs I decided fuck the risk.

The failure rate is probably statically low. But also given how many people are on this planet you will find plenty of sources showing failures. Shops seeing a handful of failures is also probably a thing of probability. People bring machines in for repair. You are going to see failures.

Crucial along with others buy into the theory that this is caused by arcing. I am willing to assume that crimped connectors should be safer than molded but... cheap connectors can fail regardless.

Back