Wireless router needs

Vordar

I have an old Linksys WRT54GL that was fine back in our apartment but now, it's just not doing what I would like it to be able to do. The signal range is shorter than I'd like and I feel bad for not trying to address this sooner (other house projects > than network, till now).

On the network-
Hardline to PC (basement- browse, game, stream)
1 PS3 (basement-stream)
1 Fire stick (stream)
2 tablets (stream, mobile games)
2 phones (browsing, mobile games)
1 smart tv (stream)
(1-2 other mobile devices depending when family visits)

The current router reaches the basement and house just fine. Heck most of the yard is covered, except behind the detached garage and the detached garage itself. I can pick up the broadcasted networks of other homes in the area, so the garage isn't too dense for signals to reach, but mine is so weak it fades in and out all the time.

Add to network-
Another fire stick (detached garage)

I have a TV out there with a fire stick that doesn't really pick up the signal well. The detached garage is about 30ft away from the back of the house and the router in home is pretty close the the middle of the house, so we'll guess about 45ft from the garage.

I was considering a Nighthawk, NETGEAR R7900-100NAS Nighthawk X6 AC3000 to be exact($219). Another option because of amazons deals today, NETGEAR R7500v2 Nighthawk X4 AC2350($122). The AC3000 has 3 bands while the 2350 has 2, but past that and the potential throughput, I'm not sure if one of these outweighs the other significantly or if for my needs one is overkill.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to other recomendations as well. Ideally I wouldn't have to spend over 200$ but the AC3000 is pushing the limit.

14997896604741856322880.jpg
***Yes I took a bad picture of the properity... green dot is router location in house and the blue band is questionable coverage/range.

Things to remember are almost none of your devices support AC. Almost none of your devices support channel bonding. Best case scenario most of your devices support N up to 72 Mbps or 150. I'm not saying anything against getting an AC router. I'm just saying unless you've bought a gaming laptop and spend over 100 on a replacement for it's wifi expansion card nothing supports insanity.

My phone supports AC that's my only one so far. Simultaneously dual band routers are probably normal these days but that was always the thing to look out for. Not every device supports 5Ghz and he'll if you are having range issues 5Ghz probably isn't going to help since it has worse wall penetration.

The range is great on both frequencies. I have a console and Fire stick on the 3rf floor and have never had any problems.

Funny,I have the exact same router as Irishian88J. I did a lot of research and this router was the best overall. It has been exceptional for range and for dual band. 1 thing to understand about WIFI is there are several factors that determine your connectivity and speeds. I'll try not to go into too much detail,but for speed issues the formula is a lil simple. Take MBps that your provide is delivering to you (example, say you get 100 mbps dpwn and 10 mbps up). Now take that 100 mbps and divide the total number of wireless devices connecting to the wireless band (either 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz). That number is basically the max potential each device can receive if all are on at the same it. Now, the funny part,your oldest/slowest device will bring all other device on the same network down to that slowest speed. So try and not have your oldest device connected too much. Its good practice to keep your non mobile device on the 5G network,so they can benefit from the less congested and utilize the higher speeds(good for Netflix/YouTube). Having your phones and tablets are best to be used in the 2.4 network( because of the larger range of broadcast.)
Placement of your router is also key. Try and look at it from this point of view, image a umbrella over your head, that is typically what the WIFI broadcasts out. So try and get it as high as you can ( on top of bookcase is a good spot). If the router is in a room,do not close doors because its drastically reduces the range it is trying to broadcast. Many types of homes are horrible for WIFI. Solid block home (cinder block homes are ok) Solid wood homes and Also old plastered walls is bad. Metal roofs kill WIFI range.
The theoretical best location for a router is to be high up in the center of the home,but thats not always practical.
There is lots more about achieving great wifi use in the home,but I'm not gonna go there.
Hope this wasn't too much for anyone.

Wireless signals are government regulated so they can't penetrate walls or any kind of structures. They instead bounce off walls throughout your household to different areas further degrading performance with each bounce and ofcourse then you take in distance. Your best bet is drilling a hole through to the garage for the ethernet cord,then connect it to both the router and or wireless adapter/repeater. Best of luck!

PS: Engineers that make wireless components CAN do it but the government won't allow it sadly. Also if your having issues with signal strength check to make sure if you have cordless phones minus cellular that your router and phone aren't using the same GHz.

I use a powerline adapter to bridge my 3rd network (furthest part of the house and least priority). It also hosts my guest Wifi and I haven't anybody complain.

Back