this shit sucks

2005MustanGT

20150216_044317.jpg

We're supposed to get slammed by a storm starting tonight. I'm the only one in the neighborhood with a generator lol.

We're supposed to get slammed by a storm starting tonight. I'm the only one in the neighborhood with a generator lol.

Its just because regular people are doing it all wrong. Millions of people have generators parked in their driveways! I have more power invertors than I can remember.

So you use your car for power?
Its likely bad due to the lack of load on the motor but I actually believe its more fuel efficient, never been able to work the math to be sure. The other issue is people trying to steal your car lol.

When I used to work car shows as a photographer I ran a computer, printers, and other equipment off a 1500 watt inverter. In emergency situations I do the same. Its not so practical in my city where you can't always park near your house. But that aside you have a generator that can transport its own fuel... Its kind of brilliant.

For heat your in real trouble. You'd probably want to own a truck or SUV with an alternator that can handle it and permenantly installed inverters and batteries. But during non cold weather disasters and power outages its not too demanding.

Its likely bad due to the lack of load on the motor but I actually believe its more fuel efficient, never been able to work the math to be sure. The other issue is people trying to steal your car lol.

When I used to work car shows as a photographer I ran a computer, printers, and other equipment off a 1500 watt inverter. In emergency situations I do the same. Its not so practical in my city where you can't always park near your house. But that aside you have a generator that can transport its own fuel... Its kind of brilliant.

For heat your in real trouble. You'd probably want to own a truck or SUV with an alternator that can handle it and permenantly installed inverters and batteries. But during non cold weather disasters and power outages its not too demanding.

Pretty smart. I have an inverter as well, but my generator is 8500 watts and we get almost a whole day out of 4.5 gallons of fuel. Plus nobody would think to come out here and try to steal it. It has a motion sensor rigged to it anyways.

It was -4 this morning, warmed up to 11. Warmest it has been in the past 2 weeks

Pretty smart. I have an inverter as well, but my generator is 8500 watts and we get almost a whole day out of 4.5 gallons of fuel. Plus nobody would think to come out here and try to steal it. It has a motion sensor rigged to it anyways.
I've never gotten a good read on the fuel efficiency. We tested it once with my truck and burned 0.3 gallons in 2 hours. Figured a more fuel efficient engine might do better.

Friends of mine had their power shut off. Tossed them a 750 watt inverter to run their fridge off the room mates abandoned car in the back yard. Eventually popped a fuse and they are all soldered... Probably startup surge or failed compressor start. We were right at the limit with that fridge but I've seen my 80 watt mini fridge pull 500 when the compressor fails to turn over.

They ended up with a generator and obviously using more power for heaters and what not they probably used 4 gallons a day.

Back