The U.S. Navy Is Trying To Turn Seawater Into Jet Fuel

This is hardly "news." People have been trying to make hydrogen-based engines and production viable for decades now. I'm not sure about the reasons, but apart from a few isolated prototypes (there was a hydrogen car driving around years ago), the tech hasn't been viable or commercialized...

It'd be pretty nice though; using water as fuel would be hilarious.

This is hardly "news." People have been trying to make hydrogen-based engines and production viable for decades now. I'm not sure about the reasons, but apart from a few isolated prototypes (there was a hydrogen car driving around years ago), the tech hasn't been viable or commercialized...

The difference is, when civilians try to do invent stuff like this, they have to deal with budgets and results and such. When the military says they want something, its pretty much throw money at it till it works no matter what, cuz god dammit we want ships that run on water!

You do know, that jet fuel is oxygen, right? :D the hydrogen might be used for making steaks on the carrier :D

What most car manufacturers are trying to do and what the Navy is trying to do aren't even related. The navy is trying to develop combustible fuel. While most hydrogen cars are electric cars with fuel cells. Can't say hydrogen combustion has been the choice of too many car manufacturers at this point. But yeah some car manufacturers and more importantly startups and fuel companies are trying to develop production facilities that are small and use local resources allowing for easy and cheap operation as well as rapid deployment.

"the Apollo-Saturn V first stage used kerosene-liquid oxygen"

I win. god the world would suck were there no wikipedia.

You actually lose. Oxygen isn't the active ingredient in the fuel mixture. Its similar in concept to nitrous oxide in gasoline combustion engines. Its there for air to burn but you still need more fuel.

rain, you're cruel. why cant i be happy for once!? :D

I'm pretty sure this is fairly recent, I saw it a while back within the past couple years, but they already have Sea Weed powered supersonic airliners. And the price is definitely a pretty penny.

"The aircraft would take off with conventional jet engines and then switch to rocket power to fly at four times the speed of sound, making the London-to-New York trip in just an hour, according to this article from the UK's Daily Mail. Better yet, passengers willing to cough up $10,000 or so for a ticket wouldn't have to feel guilty about polluting the atmosphere. The aircraft would only use its rocket engines in the stratosphere; at lower altitudes, it would be powered by biofuel made from seaweed, which would burn far more cleanly than conventional jet fuel."

Seaweed-Powered Supersonic Airliners - Is This A Good Idea : Science Channel

Spyker, whats that anime animated gif you have in your sig?

Back