So, before my CPU melts through the case - I need some advice:

KublaKhan

Background:

AMD Athlon II x 4 635 @ 2.9GHz (stock), Socket 941 (AM2).
TDP: 95w
Stock vCore - actually a little under at 1.3750
CPU Temps: Idle @ 39-44c, under load: 59 - 77c
Temps captured with CoreTemp.

What:
I've had the side of the case (Antec P150) off for the last month because the temps continue to rise on the CPU. There's no noise from the heatsink fan (it is stock) so I don't think the fan is actually dying, just can't keep up anymore.

I have 1 x 120mm intake fan, 1 x 120mm out. A friend suggested a re-paste of the TIM, which is fine, but if I'm going to pull the HSF why not upgrade to a aftermarket air or AIO water cooler?

Anyone have suggestions on either?

Purchase some new thermal paste and replace the old. I've always used Artic Silver 5. Regardless of the brand, make sure you follow the manufactures instructions on how to prep the surface and apply the paste for **YOUR** CPU. Everyone has their own method on how to apply paste on any CPU, but the manufactures recommend applying the paste differently depending on your CPU.

http://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-Thermal-Compound-Grams/dp/B000OGX5AM

I can only speak from my personal experience, but I have had a Corsair H80i for around a year now with absolutely zero issues.

Is your friend talking about delidding your CPU?

Nope. Just pulling the heatsink/fan and reapplying the thermal paste. Which, obviously would be the *cheapest* option. However, if I'm going the route of pulling the HSF why not replace the entire unit as it's several years old at this point (at least 4) plus the added thermal capability of an aftermarket CPU cooler. :)

If you want to spend the money then of course get a liquid cooler. If you just wanted to fix your temps then just putting on new paste would be the best route.

Well your problem with an AIO water cooler is your tower will have no place for the Radiator or fan....

My advice if heating is becoming an issue in stages to how far you want to go....

1. Reapply thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 is a good one.
2. Buy better case with more cooling capabilities
3. Buy aftermarket AIO cooler

Well your problem with an AIO water cooler is your tower will have no place for the Radiator or fan....

My advice if heating is becoming an issue in stages to how far you want to go....

1. Reapply thermal paste. Arctic Silver 5 is a good one.
2. Buy better case with more cooling capabilities
3. Buy aftermarket AIO cooler

The 150 has a 120mm exhaust spot, which if I'm reading correctly would fit a H60 or similar AIO water cooler.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far! Keep it coming! Water? Air? Recommendations on your preference of manufacture, your experience with both, which one does a better job, etc. etc.

To be honest you're not going to be able to push that CPU much with a H60 or H80. Unless you are lucky and have a good ocing CPU with low temps, I would highly suggest a h100i/105/110. You will be very happy with it. You will propably need a new case if you buy anything over the H60/80. Also I would remove the paste that comes pre applied to AIO coolers and use artic silver 5 or another known brand. This is all assuming you will be able to OC that CPU past stock speeds. Remember that ocing a CPU isn't guaranteed so factor that in also.

To be honest you're not going to be able to push that CPU much with a H60 or H80. Unless you are lucky and have a good ocing CPU with low temps, I would highly suggest a h100i/105/110. You will be very happy with it. You will propably need a new case if you buy anything over the H60/80. Also I would remove the paste that comes pre applied to AIO coolers and use artic silver 5 or another known brand. This is all assuming you will be able to OC that CPU past stock speeds. Remember that ocing a CPU isn't guaranteed so factor that in also.

Pushing the CPU past 2.9GHz isn't that big of a deal. I had it at 3.2 when BF3 came out, but returned it to stock. The motherboard, while capable of overclocking, really isn't designed for it. What I'm looking for is a long-term cooling solution and people's experiences with AIO water coolers and comparable air coolers.

I looked up your case. to get any decent cooling a 240mm dual 120mm setup would be best for a watercooled. The Thermaltake AIO cooler I reccommned to Turbotoast would work with your processor if you had the space for it.

However, in liue of getting a new case but understanding AIO might not be the best given your case. My first processor was a Prototype Athlon that didnt have too many of them produced. I used a higher powered fan with great results..... what is the space like inside your case? can you provide pictures of the inside?

I looked up your case. to get any decent cooling a 240mm dual 120mm setup would be best for a watercooled. The Thermaltake AIO cooler I reccommned to Turbotoast would work with your processor if you had the space for it.

However, in liue of getting a new case but understanding AIO might not be the best given your case. My first processor was a Prototype Athlon that didnt have too many of them produced. I used a higher powered fan with great results..... what is the space like inside your case? can you provide pictures of the inside?

IMAGE_245.jpg
IMAGE_246.jpg

Dust that shit too. the fine dust is like a coat on the motherboard. You don't want a coat on your motherboard.

And yeah, get aftermarket fans with proper dustfilters and you're good

Get the free utility RealTemp. I believe it is very accurate and see what temps it shows.
I posted an after market cooler here, maybe it will fit your system.
Make sure your cpu cooler is clear of dust. Also what speed does your cpu cooler fan run at?
You might just need a new fan, and run it faster than the speed at which your cpu fan should be running at when new.

Your cpu specs: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X4 635 - ADX635WFK42GI (ADX635WFGIBOX).html shows 71c as maximum.

If he wanted to mod that case he could put an all in one on the front panel where some of the cages are.

Alternatively there are water cooking kits that fit in the drive bays that might be worth looking at

I would buy a better heatsink. There are plenty on newegg for $30. I would clean the thermal paste off cpu and just use what is already on the new one. That should help a lot without going to water. I would also check all your fan speeds. There probably are fan controls in BIOS which you can setup if needed.

I have had good luck with artic cooler. I would gaurentee it would bring your temps in line for $24 and there is a $7 rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=amd_heatsink_and_fan-_-35-186-134-_-Product

Back