• Option 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Option 3

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Option 4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Orga Smic

I currently have two Evga 980ti Classifieds.
They do have 24 days left in my step up program.

The question is, should I upgrade to a 1080 model. I will list what I currently have available to me with what it would cost me to upgrade to them. Can you give me some advice as to whether I should upgrade or not? One thing I noticed is most specs are better than the 980tis, but the bit rate is lower, will that make a difference in the upgrade?
I am gaming at 1440p, however I do have a 65" 4K tv I have done some gaming on.

Options:
1 - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6181-KR - this will only cost me shipping to upgrade

2 - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5180-KR - only shipping to upgrade

3 - http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6180-KR - $40 plus shipping to upgrade

4 - Wait it out to hopefully have a different card available on step-up before runs out.

All the specs seems the same it is mostly the cooling that seems the difference. I personally am leaning to option #1 as it is an ACX cooling. Which it seems that one of the other cards would be better because it would exhaust the heat out the back, however the loud turbine noise I don't really want. I have not missed that at all.

It's up to you. Personally, I am waiting for the 1080ti as the performance difference between the 980ti FTW and the 1080 won't be very high. you'll have more overclocking potential and less power draw from the 1080 but stock performance won't be a huge difference. The 1080ti is supposedly going to have HBM2 and the same gpu the next titan will use... e.g much faster.

@Iguanidon the 1080ti will have the gp102 and the Titan will have the gp100. But I agree with you, wait for the ti.

Just do it. Get the best 1080 model they have available for you and call it a day. Yes, it is worth doing and besides, you get 2 brand new cards for pocket change. Also you can find benchmark videos out now from people like Linus on the 1080. (1) 1080 is just under SLI 980. So again, the upgrade is worth it. It's not a ground breaking performance increase, but it will be better.

Also go with Option 1. Best choice of the 3 if thats all you can get.

Last edited:
If it was me, I'd follow my heart and go with the one you want (option 1) since it is a newer architecture than the 980ti, has more ram, would be more valuable when you choose to sell it since it's a generation newer, costs you nothing to upgrade, deals with the sound issues you said were important to you, and it might even restart the clock on your step up options again.

What cinches it for me, is that it's much better at 4K and virtual reality than the 900 series.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/nvidi...-performance-benchmarks-and-conclusion-page-2

If had a 980 ti, I'd be quite happy because they're a great card. But since you have a few days left to step up for FREE, I'd be all over that option to jump to the new 1080.

I'm sure the 1080 ti's will be sweet, but they aren't available right now, and the clock is ticking for your step up. So at this point in time, I'd go for the 1080 and call it a day.

Last edited:
how many days were in the step up program originally and is it a membership thing, came with a purchase, or what?

how many days were in the step up program originally and is it a membership thing, came with a purchase, or what?

When you purchase an EVGA GPU and register it. You have the ability to "step up" (Upgrade) your GPU to higher models by just paying the difference in cost and shipping. SO if you bought a 970 for $300 but decide you want a 980 for $500, you would just send EVGA your 970 and pay the $200 difference and get a new card. Also I think you have 90 days to use the step up and you can only use it once per card. So you cant keep stepping up the same GPU to higher models.

Back