only showing 4gb ram

Krazy_fanboy

So I'm selling one of my rigs and after spending 2hrs changing the cpu cooler and a bit of wire management i finally got it ready for new os. Spent another 30 minute on 8.1 install. Well long story long I'm only showing half the ram it has installed.

Never used 8.1 so am i having ram failure or something else?

@Krazy_fanboy Just a thought but either confirm it is in correctly or switch ram around. i changed out my power supply not long ago and must had moved my ram

If that doesn't fix it then the OS might be the issue and i would not be much of help since i don't use 8.1. good luck!

Last edited:
Or it could be you have bent pins in the cpu socket on the MB after changing the cooler.

Re-seat the system memory (one might not be clamped correctly) and make sure you are using the correct sockets. How many memory sticks are you using?

Always turn power supply off before futz'n with components.

Your RAM dual channel? Make sure that they are in Matching pairs on the board. Or else they won't register.

Have 2x 4gb ddr3 in slot 1 and 3 so I took 3 and put in 1 and 1 in 3. Rebooted and bam it's showing 8 gb! Woot.

Thanks for the quick reply I was having a bit of a scare, to much shit going on don't need another specially when I'm selling to a non techie.

No problem bro. It's a small detail that can be overlooked quite easily. Enjoy your rig!

Have 2x 4gb ddr3 in slot 1 and 3 so I took 3 and put in 1 and 1 in 3. Rebooted and bam it's showing 8 gb! Woot.

Thanks for the quick reply I was having a bit of a scare, to much shit going on don't need another specially when I'm selling to a non techie.

Check the motherboard booklet and see what sockets are recommended when using two memory sticks. Usually it is 2 and 4. BUT if all is okay then leave it alone.

Back