Need Advice: Can I Just Upgrade My GPU

jmac

I have a 4770k, Gigabyte GA-Z97X mobo, with CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 RAM. I currently have a GTX770.

I was going to build a whole new system, but was thinking of just upgrading my GPU to either a 1080 or 1070. I only play BF with this computer. If I am able to just upgrade the GPU I was going to add a custom loop cooling sytem.

I'm currently running a corsair H110 with four 140mm fans in a push/pull config.

Is it worth just upgrading the GPU?

Any help is appreciated.

Peace,
jmac

Why not? you'll definitely see a big performance boost going from a 770 to a 1070/1080. But from a 4770k to 6700k you probably wont notice anything.

I would agree with manny. My 970 I plan to run for another year at least but I may do a full system overhaul from my 4790k to a newer chip when I do. If you're noticing any subpar performance the card should help. If you have a lot of extra cash, maybe think about a new build, but it's not needed.

Agreed. Just get a 1070 or 1080 and call it good.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Gigabyte GA-Z97X- what? There are alot of different versions of that mother board
upload_2016-9-2_6-0-1.png

you should make sure everything works and their are no compatibility issues or bottlenecks, Plug your parts into https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

There isn't going to be a compatibility problem adding a new GPU, the only problem he can run into is if his power supply is not powerful enough to run it, but if he's already running a 770 so it's safe to assume it is. And if he is going to do a overhaul it doesn't matter what he has now because he's going to have to get a new of everything besides a case and fans.

@locksmith673 it is the gaming GT version. What is the $500 beside the model in the pic you posted?

I appreciate everyone's input. I just wanted to ensure the rest of my system could handle the 1080/1070. It seems the consensus is that it can.

My current power supply is a SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified.

My original plan was to build a new rig for BF1. However, after playing the beta for a few days I'm not in love. Battlefield is the only game that I play. While I'll more than likely buy BF1 I don't want to spend the cash on a new system for a game that I don't love...yet. :)

That being said, I got ~100 fps in BF4 and am only getting ~50 in BF1. So I think a new GPU will help. At least I hope.

My 970 is pulling about 130 in game I think? I'll have to check again later tonight

@locksmith673 it is the gaming GT version. What is the $500 beside the model in the pic you posted?

I appreciate everyone's input. I just wanted to ensure the rest of my system could handle the 1080/1070. It seems the consensus is that it can.

My current power supply is a SeaSonic Platinum SS-860XP2 860W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified.

My original plan was to build a new rig for BF1. However, after playing the beta for a few days I'm not in love. Battlefield is the only game that I play. While I'll more than likely buy BF1 I don't want to spend the cash on a new system for a game that I don't love...yet. :)

That being said, I got ~100 fps in BF4 and am only getting ~50 in BF1. So I think a new GPU will help. At least I hope.

Thats a very nice PSU dude. Keep it forever.

Thats a legit base u got jmac. just drop a nice gpu in there. If you're going to go custom loop for both cpu+gpu make sure u research for compatible water blocks for the parts. Its better to look for what blocks go with certain gpu's before u buy imo.

@thenamesgart why do you have two radiators for just the cpu and gpu? Are your tubes solid or flex? I really like the look of the solid tubes, but bending and cutting looks tricky.

it helps keep the temps lower, im actually thinking of adding another rad for when i finish my gpu oc. flex tubing and using mayhems x1 coolant.

Edit: For the tubing just add extra in case u mis measure how much u need. The pump i got is nice, its a d5 pump but its a pump/res combo with pwm control. so my mobo 4pin fan connector controls the speed which is perfect. turning the pump speed too fast can increase coolant temp and too low it moves to slow to cool at its best. sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
I'd like to add, if your just looking to get more frames. I would just get a new gpu, as parts for liquid cooling can be pretty pricey. Plus u can always do an overclock on your 4770k to get some more performance out of it (same with a new gpu or current).

Back