Going to shoot my PC.....

PhillyCheeseSteak

I'm having a recurring problem with my PC. I'll be playing and it'll have a hard freeze up. When I go to restart it just get a black screen, no BIOS nothing. Start unplugging and plugging back in drives and it works... only to have it happen a month or so down the road. Anyone have an ideas. I don't think its a HD issue. I have nothing overclocked. Here's my specs:

Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
i7-3770k 3.5 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Maximus V Extreme
32 Gig Ram

I had the same type issue. It was my OCZ SSD that was faulty. I had issues, then if I unplugged it it would work fine for awhile. Could be something similar.

HDD or SSD? What brand? How long have you had them? Are you 100% positive all your drivers/bios are up to date?

Also, are you monitoring your temps? How long has it been since you've done a thorough cleaning of your PC?

HDD or SSD? What brand? How long have you had them? Are you 100% positive all your drivers/bios are up to date?

Also, are you monitoring your temps? How long has it been since you've done a thorough cleaning of your PC?
All drivers are into date. I run my OS off a SSD (Corsair) and my games/media off of two HDD. My entire PC is under 3 years old. I put my original post from my PC but am now replying off my phone as it crashed again. It's crashed both during games and when my wife was working on a spreadsheet. Temps are good. I did a full reformat of everything after this first happened as I was concerned about having a nasty virus.

The first two SSDs I had lasted maybe two years, a 60gig and a 128 gig. The 250 I'm using now has lasted me much longer, the first two were crucial and the 250 and 500 i just set up in this new build are samsung and I'm enjoying them both.

If you already did a clean OS install on the SSD, then like suggested, see if you can boot off a different drive. No one likes to throw money around just because, but at least the SSDs have continued to fall and the samsung are decently priced (if needed).

I will try. Right now I can't even get anything to start up. I'm calling it quits for the night and will try again tomorrow after work. Thank you all for the advice.

Yes it does. I ran it last time and there were no errors. I have the sneaky suspicion that it could be a motherboard issue even though the ASUS LED come up good. Going to be resorting to my laptop right away lol.

Have you tried removing your graphics card and booting your PC from your mobo? Does your PC do anything when you hit the power button? like the times it doesn't boot up, will the fans still attempt to spin? Have you tried resetting your CMOS? Does your mobo have a BIOS reset switch? Have you tried booting from another drive besides the SSD? To be honest it still could be a number of things so I wouldn't jump to the conclusion its your mobo. It still could be a bad SSD/PSU/GPU.

Mobo has a Bios reset switch and that has been done. Unit still powers up as per norm. Fans still turn. CMOS was done prior and I have tried booting from HDD instead of SSD. GPU is not the culprit. I'm biting the bullet and dropping it off with a tech guru that I know real well. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the suggestions.

So I have my system running... for now... but I think its time to just send this one out the range and build a new one

Re-seat all components and cables. Maybe something is not connected correctly.

how old is your motherboard? I suspect that the bios battery is in need of replacing... I remember having something like this and it was the bios battery...

So an update. Cables reseated, battery replaced. PC worked for 8 hours. Then back to square one. Now can boot and hear boot up but no video. Tested Video card and works fine... Going to order a new PC this month

Back