Any of you using a i3 6100?

KublaKhan

So, I'm in dire need of an upgrade.

Currently:
Athlon II x4 635 (oc'd to 3.3GHz)
8 GB DDR3
R7 260x

Jumping to an Intel based system the 6100 is the cheapest CPU, but I'm not sure how it would it do for everyday gaming. I'm editing video or anything, but I do like to watch Netflix/VLC on my 2nd monitor while I game. I'd rather not be bogged down while doing so.

And even though the AM3+ socket is at end of life, I'm considering just jumping up the ladder to a FX-6300 or better. It's usually years between upgrades for me, so moving up higher on AMD even though it's technically dead doesn't bother me.

So, any of you using the baby Sky Lake in a media/low end system? How has your experience been?

If you're that strapped on cash, I have a couple suggestions. Considering you will need to buy a MoBo/CPU/RAM if going skylake you need DDR4.

1. Check Craigslist. I've started off building many systems from buying a prebuilt HP/Dell with an I7 (3770/4770) for $300. or even something with an I5 for possibly less. I dont know what may or may not be available in your area, but its worth a shot imo.

2. Buy a 8350 if your MoBo will support it with a possible BIOS update if needed.

3. See what TBG members might have laying around for sale. A lot of guys here upgrade frequently or might be doing so and have something they might beable to sell you cheap.

I think buying a used prebuilt from CL would be your best option in terms of bang for your buck, next to a TBG member selling you something. If you want to toss me a PM ill even look in your area and give you some suggestions. If you could also give me a $$$ amount you're looking to spend It will help.

If you're that strapped on cash, I have a couple suggestions. Considering you will need to buy a MoBo/CPU/RAM if going skylake you need DDR4.

1. Check Craigslist. I've started off building many systems from buying a prebuilt HP/Dell with an I7 (3770/4770) for $300. or even something with an I5 for possibly less. I dont know what may or may not be available in your area, but its worth a shot imo.

2. Buy a 8350 if your MoBo will support it with a possible BIOS update if needed.

3. See what TBG members might have laying around for sale. A lot of guys here upgrade frequently or might be doing so and have something they might beable to sell you cheap.

I think buying a used prebuilt from CL would be your best option in terms of bang for your buck, next to a TBG member selling you something. If you want to toss me a PM ill even look in your area and give you some suggestions. If you could also give me a $$$ amount you're looking to spend It will help.

My board, an ECS IC780M-A2, only supports up to an AM3. So a new mobo/cpu/psu.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZyFhyf - What do you think of this? Reusing my case, hdds, RAM and GPU (for now).

I know the 650W PSU is absolute overkill for what's listed, but I intend, eventually, to upgrade to RX 480 and overclock the CPU.

Cheaper board Normally 60, bundled with a cpu its 14.99 lol:
upload_2016-7-15_23-59-46.png

With your exact board its $178 which... Once I ship it not worth it. The MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition and the 8320E total would be $143 plus having to ship it.

I would obviously recommend not getting the mATX board in the screen shot since its a bit limited. But there are a few other choices. They give $30 to 50 off for combining a cpu.

Cheaper board Normally 60, bundled with a cpu its 14.99 lol:
View attachment 11178

With your exact board its $178 which... Once I ship it not worth it. The MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition and the 8320E total would be $143 plus having to ship it.

I would obviously recommend not getting the mATX board in the screen shot since its a bit limited. But there are a few other choices. They give $30 to 50 off for combining a cpu.

Yea, full ATX please. I've got Goofy sized hands.

BTW, not that we give a shit anymore but Cryptic has increased the cooldown on Contraband turn-in to 20 hours.

Yea, full ATX please. I've got Goofy sized hands.

BTW, not that we give a shit anymore but Cryptic has increased the cooldown on Contraband turn-in to 20 hours.

Yeah i mean its not like we farm 250 of them a day anymore lol.

The AMD 8320 and i3 6100 are very close in overall performance when it comes to strictly gaming.
The 8320 is faster in multi-core applications.

Here's the tricky part that only you could answer for yourself.

Most likely when DX 12 games are released, the 8320 will start to gain a bigger advantage due in part of having more cores/threads to make use of but you ARE investing in a setup that will no longer receive future hardware upgrades.

For now, the i3 6100 will run games just a fast as the 8320 (sometimes even faster). The big advantage is it has a much bigger upgrade path in the future by simply dropping in a better/faster CPU in the future.

Good luck

(Thank god I live near a Micro Center. Going there today to get a new Smart TV)

The AMD 8320 and i3 6100 are very close in overall performance when it comes to strictly gaming.
The 8320 is faster in multi-core applications.

Here's the tricky part that only you could answer for yourself.

Most likely when DX 12 games are released, the 8320 will start to gain a bigger advantage due in part of having more cores/threads to make use of but you ARE investing in a setup that will no longer receive future hardware upgrades.

For now, the i3 6100 will run games just a fast as the 8320 (sometimes even faster). The big advantage is it has a much bigger upgrade path in the future by simply dropping in a better/faster CPU in the future.

Good luck

(Thank god I live near a Micro Center. Going there today to get a new Smart TV)

You're lucky. The closest Micro Center to me is in Cincinnati, Ohio (230 miles). The upgrade path being blocked via AM3+ isn't a major concern for me, as I said, because I keep my hardware so long between upgrades. I think I'll start hooking and just save up the $$$ for an updated AMD system.

Back