a little help here plz

BlitZ003

I will be on the PC and just randomly it will say no signal to HDMI and screen will shut off/go black but pc is still up and going. is that the monitor or GPU givng out on me ive even use the vga and the hell the other big rectangle one is and get the same thing. it doesn't happen all the time but when it does it goes on for like an hour and then stops. sometimes it does it 2 min into the pc on other times 6 hours?

Maybe bad/loose cable connection. Try using a DVI-D cable. Try different monitor. Proper video card drivers installed?

Last edited:
Sounds like you tried different cables. Next up I would pull the video card out and reseat it. These sporadic problems are hard due to the process-of-elimination steps. I've had weird problems in the past that I solved after hours of troubleshooting only to discover something was loose. Hopefully it's an easy fix like that.

il reseat everything in morning see what that dose

If that does not work you could download MSI Afterburner and turn on hardware monitor logging. It can log voltage, cpu usage, gpu usage, etc... It would log a power fluctuation which is indicative of a power supply problem or power strip problem if your pc is plugged into a surger protector. If so try plugging pc directly into wall socket to see if that helps. Could be bad vid card, monitor too, as you said. Good luck!

May be overheating.. If your graphics card gets to hot it will go black and shut down to protect itself or the driver will crash. But checking you cables is a good start and a fresh driver install

If it hums when first turned on could be the power supply going bad. How old is this piece of equipment?

it doesn't hum when first turned on but every now and again I can hear and feel the vibration of a fan kicking into high gear. GPU and PSU around 2-2.5 years old. no im not sure which fan is kickin up higher I monitor temps with HW monitor even when fans kicks up I don't get anything over 40C that's idle gaming so that's why im lost

She doesn't hum when first turned on for me either. But after the 2nd or 3rd go around she's warmed up and I can hear humming.

ok so im guessin its PSU at this point. looked back at order history and PSU is just over 3 years old and the warranty is 3 years past experience tells that this is whats going out. im currently running a cougar 1000w PSU im sure its over kill but it was on sale so why the fuck not. GPU sapphire HD7970 requires atleast 500w, cpu is fx-8350 and coolmaster all in one cpu cooler dual 120 fans, along with 4 other intake/exhaust fans. I need enough wattage to keep all this up. would 750w be enough? can i go less? im short on funds. but would still like the most bang for buck. corsair has a 750w for 80 but at the same time I disappointed with them as my RGB K70 went to shit in less than a year and they did nothing to help me out with repair or replacement. any suggestions

Same suggestion I had a while ago; get a PSU tester for about $20
Other than that, I'd look for an EVGA PSU or a Coolermaster V series. EVGA has standard 5 year warrany on the B models and 10 years on the G and P models and are based on Superflower, I believe, with extremely good current management and extremely low voltage ripples. Also they're quiet as fuck and while I've had mine it's been rock solid. EVGA won't leave you hanging for replacement either.

well is still happening but only when trying to play any game however my temps all look "safe" so I looked again and found this from april 2014 the HD 7970 is the card im running im gonna look around to see if I have a lil micro card to swap in just to test but this is what the guy had to say

"
Hi all, I'm really sorry for the long delay in response/action. Work has been crazy and I've had to handle some family issues to boot, but I finally got the time/energy to swap around my GPUs. As mentioned the GPU I'm having trouble with is a Radeon HD 7970. I swapped in a Radeon HD 5770 from my old rig. I went ahead and installed necessary drivers and then ran Furmark 1.13.

For the 5770, I managed to run Furmark three times consecutively and without incident. The first run was at 1280x1024 res with no AA, the second had same res with 2x, third has same res with 4x. I didn't/don't bother with higher resolutions because that's my native/gaming resolution. If it can run at that res, I'm fine. The 5770 had poor FPS (of course) and reached a max temp of 58C. There were no system issues, however, and it managed to get through them just fine.

I swapped the 7970 back in (drivers, etc.), got into Furmark, and set the resolution to 1280x1024 with 4x AA (I figure if the 5770 can manage it, the 7970 should too - no need to begin at the bottom). The card hit 58C within about 10 seconds or so and the system shut down. It was almost immediate, really.

I should also note (I guess) that I ran Furmark at fullscreen as well for these tests.

So it would seem that my GPU is to blame, but I am very confused. 58C is not really overheating-level hot, is it? I did note that the card (7970) actually heated up much faster initially, but slowed around 55C and assumed a steady climb. As I mentioned earlier, I've managed to run Furmark completely with the 7970 in the past and it has hit 65C and nothing happened, so it doesn't sound like some kind of bios-related thermal switch, but I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things"

errr cause I haven't the money for a new card at all. so I guess if anyone has something that will handle BF4 on medium PM me im partial to AMD/radeon but hell I guess a good price could turn me nvidia

It's not the temps. It's the power. So attention is back on your PSU. You can actually log power usage from the minute you turn your computer on with an app like MSI Afterburner. The 7970 uses more power:
http://www.hwcompare.com/11343/radeon-hd-5770-vs-radeon-hd-7970/ I would borrow a new PSU because your PSU may be shitting bricks under a heavier load because it's starting to go bad. Or, put the 7970 into a different machine if you can and see if runs fine with a different PSU first. You are beginning to find the answer.

temps on 7970 at idle checking now with CPUID HWmonitor is 51 C around 123 F at just browsing the net. ill get this afterburner and report

that's whatever the MSI afterburner default settings show for initial run something tells me that 0 Mv is not a good thing and I hope its PSu as its cheaper to replace

Same suggestion I had a while ago; get a PSU tester for about $20
Other than that, I'd look for an EVGA PSU or a Coolermaster V series. EVGA has standard 5 year warrany on the B models and 10 years on the G and P models and are based on Superflower, I believe, with extremely good current management and extremely low voltage ripples. Also they're quiet as fuck and while I've had mine it's been rock solid. EVGA won't leave you hanging for replacement either.
Great article for determining who makes your PSU if you're in the market.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-psu-brands,3762-4.html

@BlitZ003 have you tried different PCIe connectors on the card to see if it's just those connectors?

bought new PSU a cheap one to get by using a lighter card with no issue also playing tf2 that doesn't stress system. so yeah im a gaming addict

Back