WTF? Need comp help

ChuckTheHammer

Ban/Community Manager
All right, before I reformat my fucking hard drive I figured I would ask around here. This qualifies as annoying as hell and I cannot figure it out. About ten days ago I lost all audio in Chrome. Videos load quickly and play but just without any sound. I installed FireFox and the same shit happens (no audio on any videos or streaming music). Now with Internet Explorer I get streaming audio and sound on videos but all videos load slower than shit and stall repeatedly. I am running windows 7 64 with an Asus Xonar sound card. I have uninstalled all the browsers, wiped data from them, reinstalled and the same shit happens. I reinstalled the sound card, I tried registry edits recommended from online help. Flash and shockwave have been redone as well, but nothing seems to help. As far as internet, I have a download speed of 35 and up of 6 and never have problems downloading or playing.

Hopefully I am missing something simple, but any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Been there, done that.

Dumb question but, have you checked the volume mixer, where you cna change the volume level of separate programs?

volmix3.png

Yup. And it's not dumb -- I thought I had muted it initially. Really I've never had something I couldn't track down before. The good news: my SSD only has games, windows, and productivity stuff on it so a redo isn't so bad. Oh yeah, the restore point didn't work either.

Have you re-installed your sound card driver? Sometimes they can get corrupted or borked all on their own.

Try different playback devices, f.e. if you have a laptop just pulling the speakers cord out and putting it back in helps

Try playin a video or whatever and watch the sound bar on the mixer. See if it at least thinks it's outputting the sound.

No output, and it is only browser based. The sound card I reinstalled twice. I can play other audio just fine. Bot, no sound being picked up at all. It's like it is set to output somewhere else but there is nowhere else and, like I said, IE sound works as do system sounds. In Firefox I even tried switching all types of media possible to windows media player (the same settings as IE) and still nothing. That's why I figured something stupid occurred.

No output, and it is only browser based. The sound card I reinstalled twice. I can play other audio just fine. Bot, no sound being picked up at all. It's like it is set to output somewhere else but there is nowhere else and, like I said, IE sound works as do system sounds. In Firefox I even tried switching all types of media possible to windows media player (the same settings as IE) and still nothing. That's why I figured something stupid occurred.
Try Recovery, there was an update yesterday or sth, that should fix it.

Edit: windows recovery, that is.

Back