Router / switch help

Gilup

I was wondering if any of you might know a answer to this. I have googled it but not with success. It maybe the way I'm wording it.

I am interested in getting a wired GB router D-Link DGL-4100. I am also want to get a GB switch D-Link DGS-2205.

I have a HTPC with GB/s network speed but I also have a Netflix box and a Wii which are both 100 Mb/s network speeds.( I think )

Question is would the switch be able to run my HTPC at 1000 mb/s speed and run the others at 100mb/s or would the switch down grade to lowest speeds and running everything as that. I have read mixed reviews this happens but can not find a defendant answer or does it depend on the company of the switch?

This is taken from the D-Link website:

• 4 x 10/100/1000 Auto-Sensing Gigabit Ethernet LAN Ports

Basically the port will adjust to whatever is connected to it. You could have a mix and match on all the ports and it wouldn't matter. So yes you could run two ports at 100 and one at 1000.

We run Cisco 2900 and 3700 series switches at work and they mix speeds all the time without any issues whatsoever.

If my networking memory servers me correct... A 1GB switch will autoneg down to 100mb speeds at the ports that are plugged into 100mb clients. I do not think the other GB ports should be effected and will run at 1GB

youll be fine. i have a NAS on 10/100/1000 and 2 pc's running the same. the NAS transfers with vista at 10-20mb/sec at most for some reason. the mouse-over on vista says GB tho.

You guys are great. Thanks for the info. I'm off to Newegg to order what I need.

I got another question:
Do you guys think that my WRT54gs can be used as a wireless switch (access point) plugged into the GB router? I know I have to turn the DHCP off to try it. I haven't researched this yet on the web but thought I asked since I was here.

Not sure but there should be a feature in the interface if it allows it. I have a belkin wireless router and it has a setting for act as WAP only

Thanks again. I found some links to help out on the net. I should be able to keep my existing router and use it as a WAP

Back