Joystick Wiring: Helicopter Controls

Dirty-Lex

Admin
Admin
Hey fellas so I have been working on assembling my own set of Helicopter flight controls for my desk so I can do some flying and keep my skills sharp on my off time.

what I want to do is create a DIY version of something like this:
14191_9218_large.png

I already have the Pedals and the Collective (up and down lever) figured out, but what I want to do is take a piece of bent alumninum pipe or PVC and connect that to the base of the joystick essentially extending the wiring from the actual grip to the base input receptacles (or what ever the fuck you call them). This would simulate the long cyclic Arm that comes standard on all choppers. (looks like a swan neck)

I am not really good at rewiring shit, but I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with doing DIY projects like this, or what might be a viable technique to extend the input wires from the joystick to the actual base.

Here's a few more photos of what I am talking about:

IMGP5200.jpg

gstick%203%20plus%201.gif

trying to purchase one of these things is about $500+ dollars depending on where you are looking to buy from.

I think making my own would be way easier and a cool project to have completed. Simulator time for a helicopter is about $95 per hour to rent and operate (civilian). I'd like to build my own, have it at home when ever I want rather than trying to schedule shit through the Army.

Shit only 95/hr. Lucky bugger. As for wiring. You should be able to just splice something in between. LABEL EVERYTHING

Oh shit sim time is 95/hr...

Last edited:
Yeah it's really easy. Just cut mid way and add a long splice for each wire. Pretty straight forward. Don't worry about it and just do it like pilot said. I do that shit for paintball guns and at first I was worried about fucking it up. Really no big deal. Just make sure to use the same gauge wire. Too small or too big will affect the out come sometimes.

That's from a game in the mid-90s called Virtual Valerie 2 I think... don't ask.

You will most probably have to cut off the stick's upper part as the bottom has rather complex springs and pressure sensors, keep the bottom part in a box on the ground and just extend the joystick with your bent pipe. It won't hurt to try it first with a cheaper joystick as a proof of concept

Back