First laptop repaste....

Chocolate_Ch3rry

Admin
Admin
Donator
What's up everyone!

So I have a Asus GL704GW. It has a 8750h and 2070. I was getting thermal throttled at 95c on the CPU, The GPU was hitting 85c, don't think it was thermal throttling. After a repaste, the CPU and GPU still had same temps. I did an undervolt, that dropped everything a few degrees. CPU has only hit a brief spike at 91c on a couple cores. The GPU saw the best drop, sits mid 70's now. It was a complete shit show when I pulled off the heat sink. Thermal paste all over the fucking place. I cleaned it the best I could without digging in between the VRM chips etc. I put thermal pads on everything that had paste prior instead of the CPU/GPU, obviously. I used Thermo Grizzly Kyronaut for paste and fujipoly for pads. Should I have seen a drop in thermals without the undervolt? I know these thin laptops are hit hard in the cooling department. Just seems weird after cleaning that mess I didn't see any benefit for the risk took. I've always used Artic S5 on desktops, this was my first time repasting a laptop. If anyone has any experience I would be all ears. I get solid FPS, even prior to this it was fine. I didn't have any crazy dips in FPS etc. I just wanted to cool it down. I was considering doing a Liquid Metal, but not sure if it would matter. Also would having paste still stuck between the chips on the MoBo matter?

I'll comment best I can as a former ASUS laptop gamer who overclocked the shit out of what I had and it's now inside a picture frame as an emulation machine lol.

So it looks like this laptop is dual fan which is good. The single cooling solution was always a pain in my ass. When they switched up two cycles later performance was great. I'm not big on trusting ASUS to give a fuck. They took the chassis I had and the next upgrade cycle put a GPU in it that was getting hot enough to melt itseld. Even worse they never reconfigured the paste applicator to deal with the fact the GPU die had been rotated 45 degrees. We were seeing chips come out with corners that looked like blued metal exhaust tips.

So yeah can't stress enough to open it up and redo the paste if you were having problems from.the factory. The CPU is what concerns me here. It's a laptop the GPU is designed to hit that 85 degree target and give you the most performance for the temperature.

My recommendation is to pull the CPU heat sink and check how it contacted to make sure you don't need to adjust how you are applying paste. With my laptop.the GPU heat sink attached at such an angle it required spreading the paste slightly thick to one side. I always do the paste twice on a machine I've never pasted before just to check if my chosen application method is working. But you can feel free to ignore this as it's just a me thing.

Do not fucking do liquid metal on a laptop.

I've had similar experience with ASUS g series laptops, i use the gelid extreme whatever goop since my tub of as5 ran out a few years ago. It works fine but every ASUS laptop i've had required a regoop out of the box. If i keep it for 3-4 years I goop it again.

Back