dvd drive problem

Tee.Kay.

i just bought a second dvd burner because i like having 2 drives lol
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030
I have 2 of these now
Well i plugged it into the psu and the mobo, it's recognized by the computer, drivers were downloaded, the green light on the drive works, but when it won't open. When I try to open it, the green light turns on, it makes a little noise, then the light goes off and nothing happens.

any ideas?

Faulty motor / mechanical problem is my guess.

Try to pry it open with a flathead screwdriver or knife or similar, when you press the button (it's locked otherwise) and see if something inside might "connect/fix itself."

Alternatively, if the drive has a hole underneath the tray (it should), get something like a pin to push that and then pry it open - it's the "failsafe" mechanism for unlocking the tray. It's entirely mechanical, so you can do the pin thing with your computer off - push it in, and it should "pop" open.

If it doesn't "connect" or "fix itself" after opening, RMA for new one...

hmm, if I click it to open and at the same time press on the left side of the tray, it opens
hasn't fixed itself though, have to do that every time

rma?

I would... unless you wanna keep pressing on the left side forever lmao. Up to you.

well turns out i got newegg to give me a free ups shipping label so i wouldnt have to pay to ship it back. I just took it out of the computer and noticed that like the front panel was popped out a little bit in the middle
i snapped it back and it works fine lol
all that for nothing

Back