Day Z

The "thing" that is out on steam (War Z) is NOT the DayZ standalone.

I have heard of TERRIBLE reports of the state of the "game," the professionalism of the developers, and the "community" involved around War Z.

I would highly advise you to do research before you buy into that. It almost looks like a scam/cheap attempt to make a quick buck on the Day Z hype/name.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226700/discussions/0/

This is the DayZ Standalone web page. It is far from coming out yet:

http://dayzgame.com/

I've been spamming him with troll links lol. Someone even started a petition to take the game off steam lmaoz. xD

Just take a glance at the game forums, they're filled with "feedback."

In all honesty, it's probably a budget/crappy/little/amateur game. The problem is it seems like it was EXTREMELY over-promised before release and the developers make posts as if they were drunken Russians. Whether they are, in fact, drunken Russians, I don't know, but the PR for the game seems to be: "Buy this, you little bitch piece of shit. Don't like it? Go fuck yourself."

Also, I've heard of the banning debacle where they put items which legitimate players weren't supposed to be able to get all over the level... but some legitimate players got to them and were banned without any chance to explain themselves (do not pass go, do not collect $200).

Anyway, the whole team that developed this looks like a shitstorm scum IMHO. I'll personally be skipping this, but have fun if you're not...

Even with all the shit-slinging and negative PR, there are over 5K players on right now.

I don't know about those surveys... he could be lying about the 93% LMAO.

WarZ looked like a scam ever since it was announced by developers who have a track record of being scumbags.

I personally didn't like DayZ simply because the arma 2 engine limits the implementation far more than it helps it. The engine is great at large scale simulation but absolutely breaks apart when it comes to interactions up close in almost any form. You can't walk inside of most buildings and the mechanics of walking inside the few that you can are broken at best, landscapes are beautiful but up close there is little to no interaction with anything in the environment, the user interface is wonky and things like melee combat or even AI zombies are hacks to the engine and frequently don't work as the user expects. I've heard they are moving on to make a standalone version but since they are still using the arma engine as a base I don't see it living up to the potential of the idea.

WarZ looked like a scam ever since it was announced by developers who have a track record of being scumbags.

I personally didn't like DayZ simply because the arma 2 engine limits the implementation far more than it helps it. The engine is great at large scale simulation but absolutely breaks apart when it comes to interactions up close in almost any form. You can't walk inside of most buildings and the mechanics of walking inside the few that you can are broken at best, landscapes are beautiful but up close there is little to no interaction with anything in the environment, the user interface is wonky and things like melee combat or even AI zombies are hacks to the engine and frequently don't work as the user expects. I've heard they are moving on to make a standalone version but since they are still using the arma engine as a base I don't see it living up to the potential of the idea.

i would disagree with the up close animations, right now you need to be real careful with moving the grass, also the newer mods add more "run&gun controls" which mean that there are all keys on the keyboard in stead of the scrolling

Well the whole WarZ thing took an interesting turn today.

The War Z dev apologises to gamers who "misread" Steam page, hits out at "extreme DayZ fanboys" • News • PC • Eurogamer.net

The lead guy on the game, Sergey Titov, posted a bunch of forum posts and did an interview with Gamespy that basically says it's the user's fault for assuming everything on the "Features" list was actually a feature of the game they were buying.

Yeah.

GameSpy: There's also the issue of the max players per server, which appears to be 50 in our testing but is still promised as 100 on the Steam page. It also claimed multiple areas of between 100 to 400 square kilometers, but delivered only one area of around 100 square kilometers. I'm sure that many people do enjoy playing The War Z, but the issue isn't whether it's a good game or a bad game. It's a matter of truth in advertising.

Sergey Titov: Max players -- I'm not sure why this is even an issue. [The] text clearly stated "up to 100 players." And 50 players [which] we have right now -- is what our players -- our community feels is comfortable level for them to play. We had it at 40, we've raised it to 70, and after that we've asked our players, "What you want this number to be for Colorado map?" Over 90,000 players took [the] survey and most of them said -- 50. This is why this number is set to 50 right now. Yet -- on your own private servers you will be able to set to 100 if you want :). Size of the area, once again, come on -- [the] first map is over 100 sq km :). So [the] text is right. And for our next big map, California, we're testing map size of 420sq km.

GameSpy: The original text, which was up for a day, claimed "A huge persistent world: The War Z is an open world game. Each world has areas between 100 to 400 square kilometers." "Each world" implies multiple worlds. "Areas" is plural, again implying multiple areas. It currently delivers just one area that does not approach 200km in size, much less 400. And do you not see it as a problem for the store to claim that I can play on a 100-player server, yet when I buy it, I am limited to playing on a 50-player server?

Sergey Titov: Okay -- if text is saying "up to 100 players" -- yes, I may imagine situation when somebody will say "okay it HAVE TO BE 100." "Over 100 sq km" falls in "100 to 400" right? Okay my point is -- online games are [a] living breathing GAME SERVICE. This is not a boxed product that you buy one time. It's evolving product that will have more and more features and content coming it. This is what The War Z is.

GameSpy: I understand that. It is now a common practice for a game to add more features in the future. However, that is not what happened here. What happened here is that Hammerpoint claimed, through Steam, that these features exist today.

Sergey Titov: I'm sure there'll be people who will look into small details and will say "no I was mislead," where in fact they imagined something to themselves without checking details first. I'm sure that Steam have it's refund policies that should handle those situations.

Basically, don't buy The War Z.

Hahhahahahahaa, so I bought this game, yes it is shit, please save your money my friends

Ah, Steam finally pulled the game, but not before some more shenanigans by the devs.

Previously, including on the day of the game's launch, a dead character (you can have up to five) would have to wait 60 minutes before they could respawn. Tough, but it's a tough game. Now, since the patch, your respawn time is four hours.

Sounds insane, and it is, but to get around it, Hammerpoint also brought in a glowing green button that lets you respawn instantly. Provided you pay. Real money.

Each respawn costs the player 50GC, or "gold coins", a form of in-game currency that equates to around $0.40 per use. While GC can be found in the game world, there's obviously not enough to sustain regular use for transactions like this. Throw in the fact GC is, like Microsoft Points, only available in block purchases (with a minimum spend of $5), and you can see how the money will be coming in. And also where the problem is.

WarZ isn't a free-to-play title, or a cheap iPhone game, it's a retail product that people have already paid at least $15 for (there are more expensive bundles available that come with in-game currency). Now, on the very day it hits some unexpected sales success, a patch brings in a fundamental form of microtransaction?

Back