Built my Linux gaming machine!

Knoxtane

Admin
Admin
Finally built it. No it's not the best specs out there but it's what I could afford.

desktop.png

newlinuxbuildDARK.JPG

newlinuxLIGHT.JPG

Attachments

• newlinuxLIGHT2.JPG
    newlinuxLIGHT2.JPG
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 262
dang, how much did you spend on the 6350? you can get a bottom tier modern cpu that would blow that thing away

dang, how much did you spend on the 6350? you can get a bottom tier modern cpu that would blow that thing away
We tried to tell him but it was a tad bit late. 3300X would crush even an 8350. The FX6350 is a 3 core cpu with SMT so pretty much any modern 4 core especially with SMT makes it look like a joke.

Whatever you think is important. What distro are you running? When you run steam, do the games yopu own work on linux?

Whatever you think is important. What distro are you running? When you run steam, do the games yopu own work on linux?

I'm using Pop!_OS 20.04 LTS from System76.com

Well don't be too cheap like I was. The system I built is fine for what I currently play.

As far as games that are not native, I haven't ran into any issues. Games that use a 3rd party anti-cheat like Easy AC or Battleye won't work. I've played Skyrim without any tweaks to any code or run commands, just runs straight of out the box.

Skyrim, Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition both of those work with no tweaks or anything.

If you have a game you WANT to play on Linux, check out ProtonDB and search the game to see if it's playable.

https://www.protondb.com/

for 50 bucks thats still a good deal. you can't really get anything modern at that price range. probably woudlve been worth the wait to get a low end ryzen or even the newest i3, but if you're just playing more dated games it probably wont matter much

honestly its a pretty slick little linux rig. I like

for 50 bucks thats still a good deal. you can't really get anything modern at that price range. probably woudlve been worth the wait to get a low end ryzen or even the newest i3, but if you're just playing more dated games it probably wont matter much

honestly its a pretty slick little linux rig. I like

no he could have gotten something close to new....i built a system with a 9100f i3 not to long ago with the CPU costing me 70 bucks on sale....motherboard was had for 65 on sale and i got a 8gb 2x4gb memory set for 32 bucks on sale.....

this would have been a 50% gain in what he could do across the board.....
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-9100F-vs-AMD-FX-6350-Six-Core/4054vsm713

J/K I used to run linux and run CS 1.5 back in the day, was fun, but as I got older and my responsibilities grew, I just wanted something simple that was plug and play and windows was that option......said good bye to my sudo apt-get days........

Come to think of it, I think I had BF2 running on that machine as well

Back