[BF4 Servers] The "no shooting into/out of spawn" rule is flawed, and enforcing it creates a confusing and frustrating player experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shimytangtang

This rule intends to address a complex issue for which there is no simple solution. I appreciate the effort to prevent the undesirable forms of gameplay like griefing and spawncamping. Nobody likes getting blown up on the runway, or getting bombarded by UCAVs from someone hiding in their spawn. However I think the rule is flawed, and an admin who takes the rule verbatim will create an unfun and confusing playing experience.

The flaw:

Simply put, there is no in-game mechanic that allows players to reliably know whether they are in their own spawn zone or not. Players can only assume it's centroid is where the vehicles and players spawn, and it's boundaries are somewhere between that centroid and the nearest flags. As there are many maps of varying sizes and playstyles, this relative position can vary drastically from map to map. Because this boundary is ill-defined from the player's perspective, it is unfair to punish them purely on a "in spawn" or "out of spawn" basis. Additionally, the rule disregards indirect forms of inflicting damage, as well as complicated situations where combat occurs near the spawn boundary involving multiple players. Is it okay to laser designate from spawn? If someone laser designates me while I am in spawn, am I allowed to break the rule in order to defend myself? What if, just outside the spawn boundary, two tanks are battling? Can a tank on the spawn edge interfere to help his teammate? These issues result in a difficult problem regarding enforcement.

The issue with enforcement:

The best way to highlight the issues is by example. Lets say there is a US tank pushing E on Dawnbreaker, right next to the CN spawn. He is very close to the spawn boundary, but focused on attacking E. Another player on the CN side spawns into a chopper, lifts off in spawn, and begins flying towards E. Before the chopper fully exits spawn, it begins taking fire from that tank's gunner. The chopper destroys the attacking tank, however, he is still technically in the spawn zone. The admin saw the chopper kill the tank from spawn, so he kills the chopper as punishment. Who was really at fault? And were either the chopper or the tank even taking part in what could be considered "spawncamping", "griefing", or "baseraping"? I believe enforcing the rule in this manner completely misses the intended purpose of the rule, and only serves to frustrate the players. Neither the chopper or the tank had intentions of spawnkilling, or abusing the spawn zone boundaries. This kind of combat occurs frequently on smaller maps, or maps where the spawn zone is close to a flag. I experienced several similar situations while playing on TBG servers over the past couple of days, some in which I was the one being killed by admin, others where it was someone else. I even got killed by an admin in a chopper for using the skyscrapers as cover on Dawnbreaker, which is a necessary part of helicopter gameplay to avoid getting shredded by MAA, or to replenish countermeasures. It seemed the main problem was one admin in particular, who I will not name in this post, but it was clear he had no intentions of reasoning with any of the complaining players in the chat.

I have been playing BF4 on and off since launch. I must have at least 1000 hours logged, many of those hours on TBG servers, and I have never experienced this kind of admin behavior until now. Perhaps some changes could be made to the rule's wording, or a discussion could take place with the admins to clarify when and why a player should be killed/kicked. Is a player repeatedly UCAVing from spawn when their team has flags? Kill him. Is a jet destroying the enemy planes before they can lift off? Kick him. But I'd argue many of the edge cases (literally) in which players have been getting killed by admin do not warrant such punishment, if any.

I hope this post does not come across as an attack on anyone or a call for some kind of punishment. I am just an avid battlefield fan concerned about the direction of one of my favorite BF4 servers.

It's a pretty easy rule to follow. And retreating back to your I uncap so you can repair and replenish your flares is one of the reasons we implemented this rule. It's not fair gameplay and makes helos OP.

The rule really isn't flawed at all. Simply stay out of the unap. Simple.

And I don't quite believe that players do not know where the boundaries are. Everyone knows. Though they may not be "clearly defined" if you played the game enough you know where they are. Just engage outside of it. Even if you question where that line may be, just go elsewhere.

And yes any use of gadgets, weapons etc that are used in the uncaps is prohibited. If a tank is on the outer edge and needs to help another tank then yes they cam engage as long as they keep moving and do not stay in the uncap.

Addressing the enforcement. Our guests always forget that we as members are players first and admins second. We are here to play the game and have fun.

We cannot and will not catch every single little thing that happens on our servers because we are just trying to play the game ourselves. Now that being said, when we do catch something we are only able to see it from our perspective. And sometimes we have to take action. Every TBG member should be following this very simple set of rules. Warn>Kill>Kick>Ban. Each action is only taken if the issue or player gets progressively worse. Now like I mentioned before we as members do not catch every little thing and only see it from our perspective. Which is why we have a report a player and ban appeal section of our website. This allows us to objectively review everything that is presented to us and make a judgment from there.

We do discuss with our members about the rules and situations that arise on a fairly consistent basis.

I know which admin you speak of. And I know who you are in particular.

The admin is question was following our rules and procedures correctly. Warn>Kill>Kick>Ban. If our guests get butt hurt and can't take the hint to listen to the admin or do something else in the game, that is on them. Not us.

The rule really isn't flawed at all. Simply stay out of the unap. Simple.

And I don't quite believe that players do not know where the boundaries are. Everyone knows. Though they may not be "clearly defined" if you played the game enough you know where they are. Just engage outside of it. Even if you question where that line may be, just go elsewhere.

And yes any use of gadgets, weapons etc that are used in the uncaps is prohibited. If a tank is on the outer edge and needs to help another tank then yes they cam engage as long as they keep moving and do not stay in the uncap.

Addressing the enforcement. Our guests always forget that we as members are players first and admins second. We are here to play the game and have fun.

We cannot and will not catch every single little thing that happens on our servers because we are just trying to play the game ourselves. Now that being said, when we do catch something we are only able to see it from our perspective. And sometimes we have to take action. Every TBG member should be following this very simple set of rules. Warn>Kill>Kick>Ban. Each action is only taken if the issue or player gets progressively worse. Now like I mentioned before we as members do not catch every little thing and only see it from our perspective. Which is why we have a report a player and ban appeal section of our website. This allows us to objectively review everything that is presented to us and make a judgment from there.

We do discuss with our members about the rules and situations that arise on a fairly consistent basis.

I know which admin you speak of. And I know who you are in particular.

The admin is question was following our rules and procedures correctly. Warn>Kill>Kick>Ban. If our guests get butt hurt and can't take the hint to listen to the admin or do something else in the game, that is on them. Not us.

Unfortunately for jet and helicopter players, it is not always so simple. There many maps where using the uncap for cover is necessary to survive. There are just unfortunate situations where MAA, jets, and stingers can pin you. The game I recently played that prompted me to make this post was on Dawnbreaker. I was in the chopper with a squadmate and jets were constantly strafing us from above. We moved from skyscraper to skyscraper, occasionally firing TV missiles at the jets or other choppers/MAA. While there are many skyscrapers around the map, occasionally we had to use the skyscrapers *near* spawn to take cover from jets.

Check out this map of Dawnbreaker:
Look at all those skyscrapers at the bottom. They were intentionally put there by DICE for jets and choppers to have cover. Those are the ones that were getting me and my buddy killed by admin. They aren't even in the spawn zone, they are just part of the designated airspace for jets and choppers.

Here is an edge case. If there was a US tank on that grassy hill below E, should a CN chopper or tank coming out of spawn be able to attack it? You mentioned that a tank can in fact help another tank from the outer edge as long as he keeps moving, and this is precisely that situation. I was killed by admin for killing that tank on E. We weren't camping in spawn, we were just defending our flag, which is literally right outside our uncap. This type of admin behavior occurred multiple times, and is why I am making this post. We, as players, could not reason with this admin as to why it was unfair to be killed in such a manner.

I understand enforcing this rule is quite the undertaking, and no single admin can fairly and diligently dish out KIAs to offending players, but the issue is that this admin evidently had a differing opinion than you on what is fair use of uncap, and enforced the rule in this black or white manner repeatedly.

While I think the Warn>Kill>Kick>Ban seems reasonable, the "warn" part really isn't very effective, as there is so much chat spam as is. If you are focused on the game, there is no way to discern an important warning from the constant "player1 is on an unstoppable killstreak", "player2 tripped on a claymore", "player3 ended player1's killstreak".

It's a pretty easy rule to follow. And retreating back to your I uncap so you can repair and replenish your flares is one of the reasons we implemented this rule. It's not fair gameplay and makes helos OP.

By your logic, why is using the uncap to replenish flares not okay, but using the rest of the airspace is? Both areas are completely inaccessible to infantry and aa. Dawnbreaker is a great example. The airspace encompasses many skyscrapers (out of bounds for infantry) which choppers and jets can hide behind for cover. A few of those just happen to be in spawn. If using the uncap to replenish flares and avoid stingers/aa is OP enough to be prohibited by a rule then you need to ban the use of DICE's intended airspace for both jets and helos across the map. To an MAA or stinger hunting down a chopper, it makes no difference whether the uncap or some random out of bounds skyscraper is used. Every map has areas completely inaccessible to infantry, including the fact that jets can literally just fly so high that nothing can touch them. Whether you have a personal vendetta with choppers or not, this is intended gameplay that has been in Battlefield since 1942.

Additionally, I think your claim that it is "OP" or "unfair" is actually not true, as it is a necessary tactic unless you fancy the "get shot down by MAA" tactic. I understand it may not be immediately clear to people who don't typically fly choppers, but take a map like Hangar 21. There are only two areas were a chopper can consistently hide from stingers, one located in the RU base, and one in the US base. The only other area you can use as cover requires that your team has the area under complete control (hill by D). Floodzone is a similar situation for CN, if there is an igla on top of the skyscraper. So suggesting that this tactic is OP is also suggesting that when a chopper is getting shot at, it should just accept it's death instead of attempting to retreat to available cover.

I may be a chopper whore, but you have to admit, when a chopper is facing multiple stingers, the only thing preventing the engineers from killing the chopper in 2 easy clicks of the mouse button is the cover that DICE places around the map. Prohibiting the use of that cover is inherently unfair.

The admin did precisely what he was supposed to.

Our answer is plan and simple. Stay away for the spawn. It is NOT necessary for an air vehicle to hide back in the spawn where the vast majority can't get to you. Stay in the combat zone.

The admin was doing his job whether you think so or not. He consulted with us and we agreed with his decision. If your buddy Bilbo hadn't caused issues then none of us would be in this situation. It would have been a very different situation.

We thank you for taking the time to talk with us and provide feedback.

~Irish

*UPDATE*

The "No shooting from spawn" rule has been reverted back to our original rule set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back