Anyone have Mobo/CPU/Ram for dirt cheap? (Core 2 Duo or better)

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
Tonight I went to play the only pc game my girlfriend has (Diablo 3) and her machine would not power up. 2 beep post code for CPU thermal protection. Pretty sure it's dead finally.

I have a new 500 watt CPU and a graphics card for it. Don't have an ATX case but I should be able to find one that is junk.

The machine was a Core 2 Duo so anything better is golden. My original plan was to get an off lease i5 desktop throw the PSU & GPU in it but thats not happening right now.

If you live or if anyone you know lives near a Microcenter you can get a brand new AMD A6 7400k cpu and mobo combo for only $56.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/products/amd_bundles.aspx

The CPU has on chip graphics which might be faster than what you currently have. If it isn't, you can use the card you already have. I built a handful of machines with this chip and it's easily as fast as your old Core 2. (Most likely faster)

Tonight I went to play the only pc game my girlfriend has (Diablo 3) and her machine would not power up. 2 beep post code for CPU thermal protection. Pretty sure it's dead finally.

I have a new 500 watt CPU and a graphics card for it. Don't have an ATX case but I should be able to find one that is junk.

The machine was a Core 2 Duo so anything better is golden. My original plan was to get an off lease i5 desktop throw the PSU & GPU in it but thats not happening right now.

What's your current GPU that you have on hand? I have a spare FX-8350 and the motherboard as well as 24GBs of DDR3 RAM. ATX Form factor. I still have the Corsair Hyper 212 that I used with it in storage somewhere.
CPU had a faulty core which causes a blue screen sometimes when at 100% load. Although, it is functional for majority of games/tasks.

Price is simply shipping and a blowie from you or Soulzz. Or an NES Classic. I can't freaking get my hands on one.

Last edited:
If you live or if anyone you know lives
near a Microcenter you can get a brand new AMD A6 7400k cpu and mobo combo for only $56.

The CPU has on chip graphics which might be faster than what you currently have. If it isn't, you can use the card you already have. I built a handful of machines with this chip and it's easily as fast as your old Core 2. (Most likely faster)

By the time I threw ram in it im halfway to an i5 3570 with 8 GB of ram in a case. I've seen a couple of used deals on ebay and have considered it. Most of those come with ram and a cooler.

What's your current GPU that you have on hand? I have a spare FX-8350 and the motherboard as well as 24GBs of DDR3 RAM. ATX Form factor. I still have the Corsair Hyper 212 that I used with it in storage somewhere.
CPU had a faulty core which causes a blue screen sometimes when at 100% load. Although, it is functional for majority of games/tasks.

Price is simply shipping and a blowie from you or Soulzz. Or an NES Classic. I can't freaking get my hands on one.

I don't have an NES classic but I have a RasPi 3 with infrared camera and crappy 2.8 inch touch screen that was used for like 2 days I could probably barter with for stuff. Shipping is not a problem at all.

The graphics card I have on hand is a Radeon 6670 which a graphics card reviewer sent me because it fit the exact profile for an arcade machine I was building at the time. The same reviewer sent @KublaKhan a R7 260X back when that was a freshie. My graphics card is a GTX 570 which is fine for me for now but I have come to the sudden realization next wave of games it wont even meet the minimum on. I plan to give her that whenever I get my hands on say a GTX 1060 or whatever.

Have you tried disabling cores or downclocking it to work around the problem? Just curious.

@Polygonals if rain isnt intrested in the RAM i would be. did a build for a guy and apparently when adding to cart i didnt switch the RAM from the wish list to cart. so everything showed up but that. built it and slapped my 16 gigs in there cause i needed the cash. so currently on old back up 4gigs i had in the closet but its not very nice to me at times. obviously rain gets first dibs so let me know huh?

@Polygonals if rain isnt intrested in the RAM i would be. did a build for a guy and apparently when adding to cart i didnt switch the RAM from the wish list to cart. so everything showed up but that. built it and slapped my 16 gigs in there cause i needed the cash. so currently on old back up 4gigs i had in the closet but its not very nice to me at times. obviously rain gets first dibs so let me know huh?

Certainly wouldn't mind parting that out if he wants. Ill need some of it.

By the time I threw ram in it im halfway to an i5 3570 with 8 GB of ram in a case. I've seen a couple of used deals on ebay and have considered it. Most of those come with ram and a cooler.

I don't have an NES classic but I have a RasPi 3 with infrared camera and crappy 2.8 inch touch screen that was used for like 2 days I could probably barter with for stuff. Shipping is not a problem at all.

The graphics card I have on hand is a Radeon 6670 which a graphics card reviewer sent me because it fit the exact profile for an arcade machine I was building at the time. The same reviewer sent @KublaKhan a R7 260X back when that was a freshie. My graphics card is a GTX 570 which is fine for me for now but I have come to the sudden realization next wave of games it wont even meet the minimum on. I plan to give her that whenever I get my hands on say a GTX 1060 or whatever.

Have you tried disabling cores or downclocking it to work around the problem? Just curious.

I have indeed tried disabling cores! It did resolve the problem at cost of, of course, two cores. This was quite a while back, so I don't remember which cores I messed with. I'm sorry. Since I pretty much immediately planned to upgrade when it happened, I didn't get too scientific with my troubleshooting. I just wanted it to run while the parts shipped.
Darn, it looks like I'll have to get an NES Classic fair and square. That's alright, just shattered hopes. To be honest, I've been 3D printing so much recently I'm shocked that I haven't fiddled with the RasPi. Always wanted to see what cool stuff I could get up to if I get off my ass. I'd be down for that trade. Those goodies sound neat, too.

I asked about the GPU because, and I need to check when I find the other parts, I believe I have a spare 600 series Nvidia GPU. I think it's a 660? Don't quite take my word on it. I don't mind sending that either. You will need Thermal paste for the CPU heatsink.

I don't mind splitting up the ram, but they're each Corsair 1866 8GB sticks, keep that in mind since it's just 3 sticks.

As for shipping everything, I'll need some advise. I can't send the old case because it's an NZXT Phantom which is massive and heavy, unless you're down to cover that. Not sure how to pack the mobo and stuff without the original boxes. I can ship out as soon as Monday/Tuesday.
Not sure where you live Rain, but I'm in Austin, Texas and I'm not opposed to a meetup if you're around.

Whatever you do don't use plastic you find laying around your house :p Bad static generators. Honestly cardboard and tape and then wrap it in whatever soft packing materials you desire is my first guess with any lack of anti static bags.

Id like to be greedy and get 16GB of the ram but for her purposes 8GB should be fine. As far as the graphics card let me know. Ill have to see if the thermal paste I have is still any good but if not I can get some from anywhere around here lol. I still have to find the RasPi but the moment it is located I will send it to you.

I am in MD. Just let me know what the shipping comes to and I will paypal it to you or whatever you use.

Whatever you do don't use plastic you find laying around your house :p Bad static generators. Honestly cardboard and tape and then wrap it in whatever soft packing materials you desire is my first guess with any lack of anti static bags.

Id like to be greedy and get 16GB of the ram but for her purposes 8GB should be fine. As far as the graphics card let me know. Ill have to see if the thermal paste I have is still any good but if not I can get some from anywhere around here lol. I still have to find the RasPi but the moment it is located I will send it to you.

I am in MD. Just let me know what the shipping comes to and I will paypal it to you or whatever you use.

Sure thing. I'll see what I can use for packing materials and let you know when I have a shipping estimate. This will be a few days, work is really busy right now. If you're down with 8GBs I'll send Blitz the two others as well.

Greedy bastards.

EDIT: Anyone have a good link to an ATX sized anti-static bag? I found 3 listings on amazon but they're too small according to reviewers.

Last edited:
I really don't think antistatic is needed. I mean I would hate for anything to happen but I have seen it done hundreds of times. The main advantage to the antistatic is you can apply packaging material directly to the board rather than applying pressure via cardboard.

@Polygonals right on bro ill DM you my address and just let me know how much and what method for payment like rain said. i like pay pal but can do other if wanted

And it's still kicking! Getting a little long in the tooth now, will be shopping for an upgrade come springtime. I think I have a Pentium III around here somewhere.. :D

And it's still kicking! Getting a little long in the tooth now, will be shopping for an upgrade come springtime. I think I have a Pentium III around here somewhere.. :D

If you want to build a loop Renno has a 680 but its on a block. I seriously doubt you would find a proper air cooler for a card that old.

Back