Any help for a boot issue.

TheFormerManc

Well, I'd been having an issue for a little while where I'd boot it up and get a BIOS error messgase saying CPU fanspeed too low. I had just bypassed it, which at this point I guess was a bad idea. Now when I start it, I get one long beep followed by 3 short ones. I tested my memory sticks and they all checked out. Transistors on my mobo are all ok. I think it's my CPU. I took my video card out and booted it up, but still the same problem. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Check with the MB makers web site or the Manual-they explain the beeps. Usually short beeps are memory and and the long ones are cpu related. With a compbination of the two? It depends on the MB manufacturer.

The BIOS manufacturer may also determine what means what. Check out the link below:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

It sounds like you may have fried the CPU, either that or the heatsink fan has completely stopped working. If you haven't already check to see if the fan is spinning it may just need a cleaning. Sometimes if it isn't spinning you can give it a jump start by manually spinning it as soon as you boot. I had the same exact problem recently with one of my older machines and that's what is was.

I'm gonna put my money on the fried CPU. I clean out the inside of my case every week just to keep it totally dust free. Checked the fan, it was spinning normally.

Did you update your BIOS?
Did you try pulling your battery for +10mins?
Clear CMOS and restore everything to default.
Check all your connections, including reseating your CPU.
CPU's only fry from overvoltage, were you overclocking?

Latest BIOS yeah. I'll try pulling the battery and checking the connections. Nope wasn't overclocked. I assume though that if my CPU fan was going too slowly that maybe the CPU just slowly got damaged from excessive heat.

Back