No BF3 on Steam worries fans as EA's Origin looms

Arturo_Fuente

No BF3 on Steam worries fans as EA’s Origin looms | Gaming, Technology, and Whatever

A couple of weeks ago, EA essentially re-branded their EA digital download store as “Origin.” Nothing exactly Earth-shattering, and it didn’t even feel it was worth discussing at any form here. Yeah, there was the bit about Star Wars The Old Republic being an Origin exclusive, but for a yet-to-be-released MMO, it didn’t really register as note-worthy. Now things are starting to get interesting. RPS posted an article alerting us that Crysis 2 has been pulled from Steam and Alice: Madness Returns is no where to be found on Steam as well. Also, interesting is that there have been zero hints of Battlefield 3 pre-orders on Steam, especially with EA and DICE pushing pre-orders hard elsewhere, as we discussed yesterday.

Of course the conspiracy theorists already have BF3 as an Origin exclusive, meaning if you want to buy BF3 digitally, direct from EA will be your only choice. While that may end up being the case, there is one small problem in that logic: you can currently preorder BF3 on Direct2Drive and also on GamersGate (at 10% off). To make things more interesting, you can still by Crysis 2 digitally on Direct2Drive and Amazon, so it doesn’t appear to have become an Origin digital exclusive, at least not yet. Is Origin solely targeting Steam? We’ve heard in the past from other retailers and some publishers that they felt that Steam carried too much weight by dominating the digital download market, and maybe EA is trying to strong arm Steam by not making available some high profile titles there. They’ve done it on the used game market of console games with “Project $10″, so maybe Steam is their next focus.

I understand from a publisher’s perspective the downside of Steam. Obviously, Steam takes a cut of the game sales, but that’s true of D2D, GamersGate, Amazon, and even brick and mortar stores like Gamestop and Best Buy. Steam, however, works a bit differently on the technical side, requiring a somewhat rigorous approval process for not only the games but all patches — and let’s not forget that Steam games need to have separate patches applied to them which isn’t true of games purchased digitally elsewhere (except, obviously, if it’s a Steamworks game.) So, maybe it’s more about having to maintain two different versions of a game and less about trying to forcefully limit market share of Steam. Or maybe it’s some crazy argument over fees or other back-room deals that have really nothing to do with anything gamers should care about. The point is, we really don’t know and I’d wager that most gamers don’t care. They want to buy the games they want, where they want to, that’s it.

I have some, friends, actual real people, who only buy their games from Steam. They will buy their games from Steam, even if better deals can be found elsewhere, and many times, will never buy a game simply because it’s not sold on Steam. The question is, if BF3 is never sold on Steam, will those people buy it? Between this and the pre-order shenanigans, have you been soured on BF3 any, or are you full steam ahead? Yes, the bad pun was necessary.

I only got Steam to re-download BF2. I've kinda come to like it, but these days where's its released doesn't matter to me. All my games are run from virtual drives as opposed to CDs. So no, I probably wouldn't care if it wasn't released on Steam.

One reason being my internet connections at home sucks, took all night to download BF2....

there is a chance you might get it on D2D digitally. Pre-order is still there.

Well, that's too bad... you can bet your ass that CoD will counter by offering their game on steam.

I don't agree with that move, 100+ million dollars on marketing and they pull something like that... Unless steam denied their game to be sold through thier network, because of pressure from IW/Activision or something behind the scenes we the fans cannot see why not offer your product to as a large consumer base as possible? Maybe they don't know about the free market in Sweden.

Video Games are a high stakes venue and I have no doubt there are silly politics just as in anything else. I cannot find a reason that DICE/EA would do that, unless they are so Blitheringly stupid that they think they are going to have more people buy off of EA down-loader...

i prefer to buy directly from EA origins...... i like purchasing product from the actual company itself for support reasons

whats the big deal of just going to the store and getting it?

I don't like DVD's. I have enough storage, and I have a decent internet connection, so I prefer to use Steam, because, it installs my games while it's downloading them. I like having a central hub for all games. EA Origins is essentially doing a publisher store, except it's EA's, and only EA. That's a bad move on their part; very bad. Choice is good. This is forcing people to use Origin's.

I downloaded BFBC2 via EA Download Manager and had nothing but issues. In between builds, I downloaded BFBC2 on my laptop via Origin, and it was a disaster: wouldn't recognize my username (same), kept timing out (hardline connection), and a few other issues. Bad enough I bought the DVD version (Soulzz/Fasty, in case you're wondering why my GUID changed). Origine gets a big -1 from me. Sadly, I think DVD will be the way to go for BF3. I agree with Soulzz, it's kick ass to have a central place for all your games (I'll still use Origin for Crysis, as I don't give a shit about playing it online), but for fuck's sake, we need a more better option EA :(

I don't like DVD's. I have enough storage, and I have a decent internet connection, so I prefer to use Steam, because, it installs my games while it's downloading them. I like having a central hub for all games. EA Origins is essentially doing a publisher store, except it's EA's, and only EA. That's a bad move on their part; very bad. Choice is good. This is forcing people to use Origin's.
ya only EAs games which is like almost half of the games that come out what a bad move...........
could it be they want there own "steam"
Steam started out with just valve games too.

ya only EAs games which is like almost half of the games that come out what a bad move...........
could it be they want there own "steam"
Steam started out with just valve games too.

The difference is EA isn't Valve. EA has terrible support in all areas. You should know that by now.

never had a problem downloading through ea downloader or origins, everything works fine. ever since bf2 crysis, bc2, 2142, crysis 2, soon to be bf3...... no issues what so ever, im a happy customer, and no i am not sticking up for EA, im pretty sure others had bad experiences, just like every other company in the world. just sharing my experience

I've given up on the hype of bf3, even thou its still a ways away.. ARMA3 looks more interesting to myself.
But I enjoyed the read Arturo, thx. Nice bad pun!

Back