Mechanical keyboard

sixer9682

Okay, so I've been seriously annoyed with keyboards lately with the mushy feel, unresponsive keys, and the slow reaction speed of them.

I've been geeked out on getting a mechanical keyboard for a while but didn't want to spend the cash on a new keyboard but finally decided to get one.

I ended up getting a cherry mx brown one that's actually backlit, a rarity for mechanical keyboards. Anyway, it's the XArmor U9BL-S LED and I have to say I wish I'd gotten this sooner. It's the most comfortable thing to type on that I've ever had, including ergonomic keyboards. It's responsive, doesn't require much pressure to activate the keys and just feels so good to type on.

If you haven't tried a mechanical keyboard before, I highly suggest you get one. Here's a pic of what this looks like.

xnb1gw.jpg

Well wtf is a mechanical keyboard? I mean before i read this I was thinking you were getting a repro of an older IBM keyboard them ones that click all funky loud. If thats not mechanical then what is.

A mechanical keyboard has, as the name implies, mechanical switches that register keystrokes instead of the rubber domes all other keyboards use-that give them that mushy unresponsive feel. And yes, some of them like the MX blues sound clacky like the old IBM keyboards.

Here's a good read on mechanical keyboards if you're interested.
Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Oh, a key thing with the mechanical keyboards, for me, is that they don't produce any strain on your hands or wrists when typing which is great for anybody who's had any wrist problems, or carpel tunnel. You don't need a wrist rest with these keyboards.

Edit: These keyboards are also commonly referred to as "rage proof". They average about 3.5 lbs, have a metal construction for all but the keys and are damned impossible to kill. They're perfect for someone like Renno :) Oh, you can replace all keys on the board too, just pop out the old one and snap in a new one and you're done. It makes cleaning them easy, especially if you spill shit on them.

I have a couple Model M's in storage and I'm really thinking of pulling one out. The only think I dislike is the lack of Windows key; I frequently use it. I'm thinking of a Das Keyboard Ultimate (an older version without Fn keys but with blank keys).

i want one now.......... click click click click......... xD

Yeah, that uses the MX blue switches-clacky. I've read both good and bad things about that one, but it all seems to go down to user perception. Hey, if you want a red one, have you checked out Deck?

Deck Keyboards

Yeah, that uses the MX blue switches-clacky. I've read both good and bad things about that one, but it all seems to go down to user perception. Hey, if you want a red one, have you checked out Deck?

Deck Keyboards
Nice looking keyboard; I had a $100 gift card at Newegg, so I dropped a couple stones. I'm just a little bored of the blue LED's....

Nice looking keyboard; I had a $100 gift card at Newegg, so I dropped a couple stones. I'm just a little bored of the blue LED's....

Yeah, I wasn't high on the blue led but it was the only mechanical one that had the Cherry MX brown and leds. It's quiet when typing which is a bonus plus it has 4 levels of lighting, one led for each key, and the brightest can blind you if you like :)

Yeah I did; since the keys are more responsive I found moving forward, left, right, etc easier especially in vehicles. Same goes for grabbing alternate weapons it was just, or maybe it just felt like, a little bit quicker for me.

Back