AMD FX processor brings eight cores to battle

Bob369963

Ban Manager/Moderator
article_label_fileunder.gif
Desktops, Gaming
[h=4]AMD FX processor brings eight cores to battle, we go eyes-on (video)[/h] By Sharif Sakr posted Oct 12th 2011 12:01AM
Hands-On

post_icon_video.gif

AMD fans have endured a long wait for this, while being reduced to spectators as Intel spews out an ever-increasing horde of Sandy Bridge variants and builds up the hype around its next-gen Ivy Bridge architecture. But the new FX series of processors is finally here and will be available to buy in the next few days, with the top-end FX-8150 priced at $245 in exchange for eight cores, a 3.6GHz base clock speed and easy over-clocking to 4.8GHz using the packaged Overdrive software. Your AM3+ motherboard is crying out for the upgrade, but don't succumb until you've clicked past the break -- we've got details of the full range and pricing, our initial impressions and an eyes-on video that includes a detailed chat with the guys from AMD.

<iframe id="viddler-2d9cc4ea" src="http://www.viddler.com/embed/2d9cc4ea/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&disablebranding=0" width="545" height="349" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Firstly, let's take a look at the full range of FX variants. Only the eight- and six-core models will be available straightaway, with the four-core options coming at some undisclosed point in the future.

amd-fx-lineup.jpg

Now obviously we're just talking about paper specs at this point, and these gloss over some key concerns. In particular, having eight cores might not be much of an advantage in most real-world tasks -- at least not until games and other software starts to adapt to the new architecture. Then there's also the fact that the Bulldozer cores are clumped into pairs which share certain resources -- so they're not entirely independent like traditional cores are, and they might not scale up processing speeds in the way adding traditional cores would.

floorplan.jpg

Nevertheless, when you factor in the bang-back ratio, the FX range does look impressive. The FX-8150 undercuts the Core i7-2600 by a good $55, while AMD's own benchmarks suggest it delivers roughly equivalent performance -- at least in certain multithreaded tasks.

amd-v-intel-benchmarks.jpg

It's interesting that the two rivals are so neck-and-neck, despite the fact that the FX-8150 has twice as many cores, 200MHz extra base clock speed and a 100-400MHz faster turbo mode (depending on how many cores are utilized). It just serves to reiterate our cautionary note that broad-brush specs don't necessarily translate into real-world performance in the way you might expect.

pricescropped.jpg

Above you'll see the suggested US retail prices for the three different processor variants that will be available at launch. PC builders on a budget can opt for the FX-8120, which looks designed to tackle the Core i5-2500 (currently around $210), or the six-core FX-6100 at $175, which could also prove to be a sensible middle-ground depending on your needs. Ultimately, our PC upgrade dilemmas have just became a whole lot more complicated, and we love it.

fxcpudie-1318358311.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

If I'm looking at the bar graphs right; that is pretty impressive. Along with that the prices are really hard to beat. I want to see this in gaming not multi-thread apps.

I know its looks good, but I think you and me are intel/nvidia junkies. I cant seem to get exited about AMD.

If I'm looking at the bar graphs right; that is pretty impressive. Along with that the prices are really hard to beat. I want to see this in gaming not multi-thread apps.

I dunno balls people are mad raging over on OCN right now. Theyre pretty disapointed. Even if theyre wrong AMD's slides arent worth shit. But its obvious per core performance is worse.

Alot of benches out though:

PCTuning

AMD Bulldozer ? procesory FX-8150 a 8120 v testu (1/2)

Translated:

Google Translate

Ozeros

oZeros » Review: AMD Bulldozer FX-8150

Translated:

Google Translate

Overclockers.com

AMD’s FX-8150 – Bulldozer – Processor Review | Overclockers

HotHardware

AMD FX-8150 8-Core CPU Review: Bulldozer Is Here - HotHardware

[H]ardOCP

HARDOCP - Introduction - AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Desktop Performance Review

HARDOCP - CPUs and DX11 Gameplay - AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Gameplay Performance Review

TechSpot

Bulldozer Arrives: AMD FX-8150 Review - TechSpot Reviews

VR-Zone

AMD FX-8150 CPU Overclocking Review: A Bulldozer for Gamers? by VR-Zone.com

Guru3D

AMD FX 8150 processor review

HardwareCanucks

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 Processor Review

Vortez.net

AMD FX-8150 'Bulldozer' CPU Review - Introduction

BenchmarkReviews

AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer Processor | AMD,FX-8150,Bulldozer,8-Core,Processor,Benchmarks,CPU,Performance,Reviews,David Ramsey,AMD FX-8150 Bulldozer 8-Core Processor Benchmark CPU Performance Review by David Ramsey

Bit-Tech

AMD FX-8150 Review | bit-tech.net

Expert Reviews UK

AMD Bulldozer review (FX-8150) | Expert Reviews

Legit Reviews

AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - Bulldozer Arrives - AMD Brings Bulldozer To The Yard - Legit Reviews

Hi Tech Legion

AMD FX-8150 CPU Review: Can Bulldozer Raze The Playing Field?-Hi Tech Legion-AMD FX-8150 CPU Review: Can Bulldozer Raze The Playing Field?

PureOC

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150

Bjorn3D

AMD FX-8150 CPU: Bulldozer - Bjorn3D.com

Computer Base

Test: AMD

Translation:

Google Translate

ExtraHardware.cz

Nejsiln

Translation:

Google Translate

Hardware.fr

AMD FX-8150 et FX-6100, Bulldozer dbarque sur AM3+ - HardWare.fr

Translation:

Google Translate

Hardware Heaven

AMD FX-8150 Black Edition 8-Core Processor vs Core i7-2600K Review - Introduction

Hexus

AMD Bulldozer FX-8150 - CPU - Review - HEXUS.net

LegionHardware

AMD FX-8150, FX-8120, FX-6100 and FX-4170 - Introduction

Lost Circuits

AMD's FX-8150 "Zambezi" - Bulldozer in Action - L O S T C I R C U I T S

PC Perspective

AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - Can Bulldozer Unearth an AMD Victory? | PC Perspective

Hardware TechStation

Introduzione - AMD FX: il ritorno in pista con Bulldozer! | Tech Station

Translation:

Google Translate

Tom's Hardware

AMD FX-8150 Review: From Bulldozer To Zambezi To FX : AMD Sets The Stage For FX

Anandtech

AnandTech - The Bulldozer Review: AMD FX-8150 Tested

Overclock3d
Overclock3D :: Review :: AMD FX8150 CPU Review :: Introduction and Technical Specifications

Techreport
AMD's FX-8150 'Bulldozer' processor - The Tech Report - Page 1

X-bit
Bulldozer Has Arrived: AMD FX-8150 Processor Review - X-bit labs

Hardware heaven
AMD FX-8150 Black Edition 8-Core Processor vs Core i7-2600K Review - Introduction

I7 EE is the only way to go.

Jesus you mind as well buy AMD and save some cash. Sandy Bridge - E is the only way to go. New arch 6 core for the win. The i7-3930K should be cheaper than most 1366 cpu's but apparently the i7-3960X will be once again ridiculous.

Though you like blowing money so go get that 990X. Be about the same as whats coming out for now.

Hmm I got a 965 ee for $120 bucks, I think I saved plenty of cash.. Courtesy of Balls
Once I figure out how to get this to 5ghz I will be fine. Im fine now but I want 4.5-5ghz

Hmm I got a 965 ee for $120 bucks, I think I saved plenty of cash.. Courtesy of Balls
Once I figure out how to get this to 5ghz I will be fine. Im fine now but I want 4.5-5ghz

So are you going phase change or liquid nitrogen? lmao. Someone once reached 6Ghz with a 970 at -140C. Few 980X's in the 6 range but thats all on LN2 and a bit of an overshoot.

Still pretty sure phase change is a minimum for you and 5ghz. Or me and the peice of shit I have. I got 4.6 booted last night finally. Having a hell of a time should grab another chip and sell this one. But since im upgrading next year im not worried about it.

Yes I need phase change I know, going to get that after I get my second 580 double shot

With my 965 I got to 4.2. It overheated because didn't tighten down the block. I'll either upgrade or re-OC it again once I master the job interview I have on Friday. I don't want to be S.O.L. If I OC'd it now it f's up and I don't have the job.

With my 965 I got to 4.2. It overheated because didn't tighten down the block. I'll either upgrade or re-OC it again once I master the job interview I have on Friday. I don't want to be S.O.L. If I OC'd it now it f's up and I don't have the job.

Right. Would be nice to see where it gets to. I tried searching around. Seems like most people are hitting 3.7 without voltage and at a minimum of 4. But if it hit 4.2 already and you say block sounds like on water. 4.5 shouldnt be a problem for your unit. Which would be slightly better than the time im having.

This damn thing doesnt care how much vcore i throw at it because I am having a little trouble with controlling voltage drop and its been mostly about keeping the vrm under control for geting 4.5 stable and 4.6 booted.

I havent had time to really take the machine down for more than a a couple hours. I have a 10127 folding unit due and it takes 1.5 days straight and i havent been running it 24/7.

EDIT - I forgot on sandy bridge lowering PLL voltage seems dead important for stability. Craziest thing.

Back