Whose "Bright" Idea?!

Vordar

Attn: The kitchen light switch currently controls the new kitchen lights, the hall light, both bathroom lights (up and downstairs), the porch light, the hall outlet and the living room TV(outlet).

wtf were they smoking when they wired this shit?! Trying to figure out wtf now and how to fix it. Replaced the old long light bulb fixture and replaced it with 4 canned lights.

Wait... is my coffee maker off now too?!?!?!

Lol, and this is why they have home inspectors before you buy. Nice to see that the guy you hired was paying attention when he checked the place out. :)

In order to do something like that would take an extraordinary amount of work. Is that the only light switch in your house?

The house was built around 1958, bought it from original owners (husband passed a year before she sold). Inspector didn't see a lot of shit and im still pissed about it. We got the wiring issue solved but need to make new junctions cause the cables aren't long enough. Another time I'll have to take half that shit off the circuit and add some new breakers. The wiring is shit and half the breaker isn't labeled or not labeled properly...

If you live in the south a Bubba did it. If you live anywhere else they were just idiots

1958 ? Might as well do a full rewire then you will have the satisfaction the jobs done to todays specs

thats the things about home inspections they dont open things up.
with the age of the house you would most likely be best to totaly rewire done alot of renos the old wireing can be a nightmare
such as is it copper or aluminum they dont mix and how many hiden junction boxs are you going to find

The house was built around 1958, bought it from original owners (husband passed a year before she sold). Inspector didn't see a lot of shit and im still pissed about it. We got the wiring issue solved but need to make new junctions cause the cables aren't long enough. Another time I'll have to take half that shit off the circuit and add some new breakers. The wiring is shit and half the breaker isn't labeled or not labeled properly...

Wait till you read through the NEC again lol. I went to add a light switch the other day and bought 12/2 and as it turns out they now require light switches to be fed a neutral even though it wont be used. I missed that one somehow. It was added in 2011. Baltimore happens to use the 2014 code.

In order to do something like that would take an extraordinary amount of work. Is that the only light switch in your house?
Yeah, you need an electrician and preferably a master electrician. They cost, but they fix shit right the first time and do a great job. We went through that when we bought our home; replaced the panel and had to have about 3/4 of the electrical wiring redone. On the upside, my pc has it's own dedicated circuit and the wife's too...and no more shoddy wiring where you go WTF? when you turn on or off a light switch.

Yeah, you need an electrician and preferably a master electrician. They cost, but they fix shit right the first time and do a great job. We went through that when we bought our home; replaced the panel and had to have about 3/4 of the electrical wiring redone. On the upside, my pc has it's own dedicated circuit and the wife's too...and no more shoddy wiring where you go WTF? when you turn on or off a light switch.

Right now mine does too lol. Im using the dedicated line for the air conditioner. You can turn off the sub panel for the entire up stairs and I don't lose power. Otherwise it would be on a 20 amp circuit that only has 2 outlets. Which is fine too.

I started replacing outlets and switches since I moved in, about one room every 3 months. I was doing some painting in the living room last month so decided to replace the outlet. Past the fact that these are like original outlets with plastic screws, the covers were almost yellow and not matching the new white paint. I found the outlet next to the front door (behind the couch) was tied in to the light switch next to the front porch light. My only guess is since there is no ceiling light, they had some lamps plugged in to it or something, but come the fuck on!

Attn: The kitchen light switch currently controls the new kitchen lights, the hall light, both bathroom lights (up and downstairs), the porch light, the hall outlet and the living room TV(outlet).

wtf were they smoking when they wired this shit?! Trying to figure out wtf now and how to fix it. Replaced the old long light bulb fixture and replaced it with 4 canned lights.

Wait... is my coffee maker off now too?!?!?!

Damn lucky not to have an electrical fire from that. Geez.

Back