When they tell you 16GB of ram is enough.

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
My builds usually aren't just for gaming. So Overclocking was always relevant to be before video cards could be used for video rendering for example.

I finally put more ram in the board Manny sent. I was originally unsure if I should get 8 more GB or spring for the 16GB kit for 24:
33676318_1678811368861289_5503034235067301888_n.png

Test rendering the first minute of my wedding video.

Definitely a relief having at least 16 again (my old rig which Liz has now had 16GB). Fallout 4 and a Netflix in the background I use around 10 GB. It sucked before to have 2 of anything open.

80507d55f42ea7bd618f66530497c026.png

I have a couple gigs of RAM as well.

My "new" media server has 48 GB but i don't think it will ever use any of it. Guy who trades parts asked me if I wanted any ECC DDR3. I said yeah I would love to be ridiculous but I am not spending any money on it. I am swapping the CPU's out to 6 core's. I have one I just need a matching one. It's old though.

Last edited:
If I don't get more than 16 gigs of ram I lose out on all those blinking lights. Thats clearly a 10% overclock I'm giving up.

If I don't get more than 16 gigs of ram I lose out on all those blinking lights. Thats clearly a 10% overclock I'm giving up.

Funny. I still have the one ram slot open that I will be afraid to fill. I will have to take the fan off that side of the heat sink. I didn't get more than 500Mhz out of the overclock which I don't believe is even currently active. But the increase in heat makes me worry how this cooler does solo.

What are you running that's using so much ram?

I would say Adobe Premiere Pro but technically its Media Encoder that's doing the swallowing. Automatically out of the gate a clean install windows and a few usual apps is 4gb of ram. Open chrome there goes 2 more. Adobe tends to reserve ram but I am not seeing them actually occupy it, must have gotten better about that.

So note that it's not just using ram or just using one GPU. I can't tell you wtf its doing but the CPU and BOTH GPU's are fairly damn active as it sucks up a ton of ram lol.

Vegas doesn't use as much but it's also slow as balls and I just did the trial of 15 and 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't properly encode using acceleration. It's total shit. It's always been shit. I own 14 and that's probably going to be my last version.

That's crazy. I have 8GB a RAM and it's more than enough for gaming and windows. Last night I was playing two games at onc3e, one being BF4 and only took about 6

That's crazy. I have 8GB a RAM and it's more than enough for gaming and windows. Last night I was playing two games at onc3e, one being BF4 and only took about 6

If I install windows, chrome and fallout 4 I am out of ram. While I haven't tried with other browsers (I like to have Netflix or something going) while Fallout 4 would often only start out driving the ram usage to 7.6-7.9 GB it now never dips below 10 if Chrome is open. Which means now that the ram is present for use to cache things from the drive, which helps with performance a bit. It used to drop ram usage later in the game.

Hard drive usage is WAY down now that I have enough ram. I would often be at 100% usage on both drives between page filing (which shouldn't be on, on an SSD to begin with) to loading game data from the second drive it would drag performance down. Now it's usually nothing but a few percent. When you start getting moderatly close to full usage check those metrics because you could be suffering without it.

Trust me I put it off as long as I could. But I like to multi task.

I got lucky when I built my current rig. I bought the ram for it right before the global DRAM shortage which made the prices double. I put 32 gig's in it for less than $150. Now the same kit is $370 on NewEgg.

I got lucky when I built my current rig. I bought the ram for it right before the global DRAM shortage which made the prices double. I put 32 gig's in it for less than $150. Now the same kit is $370 on NewEgg.

Holy shit. My friend was like you should wait unless you need the ram. I was like I NEED THIS! Back in 2011 I had a win and a screwover. Got my 16GB of DDR3 before prices went up but I didn't get my hard drives before the flooding in the one country that produces hard drives lol. Went from 7 TB of planned storage to 3 total.

Back