Wanting to upgrade.

Knoxtane

Admin
Admin
So, I'm running some decent hardware but I'd love to upgrade soon. I have two things I have my eyes on, but before I get to that I'll list my current specs.

CPU: i5-4590K @ 3.5GHz
GPU: GTX 970 4GB
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz
Storage: 128 GB SSD (OS) / 1TB HDD (Storage & games).

As I mentioned above, I have two things in mind. 1. building my own PC again, microATX Tower. 2. Buy a SFF prebuilt gaming PC. I'll list the specs of the PC I want to build and the one I want to buy.

PC I HAVE TO BUILD (PC PART PICKER)

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB AORUS Xtreme Edition Video Card
RAM: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
MOBO: ASRock - B150M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
PSU: EVGA - BQ 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
CASE: Cougar - MG110-W MicroATX Mini Tower Case
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/77PKHx/cougar-mg110-w-microatx-mini-tower-case-mg110-w
TOTAL: $1096.71

PRE-BUILT SMALL FORM FACTOR (ASUS ROG GR8 II)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM
RAM: 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory
Storage: 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

TOTAL: $1,149.99

HERE IS AN IMAGE OF THE ROG GR8 II NEXT TO AN XBOX ONE S

test-asus-rog-gr82-2.jpg

I know building my PC is cheaper and would be more safe than buying a pre-built but with the cryptocurrency mining going on, it's hard to get a GPU right now so the pre-built would be the better option. Also it's super compact.

Definitely right now a prebuilt is your best bet. but not a prebuilt that has no room for upgrading down the the road. That case may look pretty slick now, but a few years down the road when you look to maybe add another SSD or HDD or upgrade from the 1060, you have no leverage because the computer was build in a small form factor for that case. I'd recommend looking into a prebuilt in a regular mid tower from places such as cyberpower or ibuypower. @TruFreelancer just got a prebuilt from cyberpower that was very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I bought a small form factor for my living room a year ago and best bang for your buck is the MSI Nighblade series:

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Nightblade-MIB-246US-Desktop-i7-7700/dp/B01MS5LIK7

Plus is you get an MSI MoBo and GPU which are some of the best in the industry.

If you aren't locked into the SFF, doing customer prebuilts from Cyberpower tended to have the best pricing, especially since they are always running specials. On got all of this for 1100 during the holidays:

I5-8400
16GB 2400 RAM
240GB SSD
2TB 7200RPM Traditional
MSI GTX 1060 6GB O/C
MSI Z370 MOBO
Cyberpower liquid cooling

Build one... its fun and manly! Video cards are outrageous right now so stick with your old card until prices come back down.

Now is probably the worst time to upgrade. Memory and Nand prices are through the roof, same thing with GPUs.

Now is probably the worst time to upgrade. Memory and Nand prices are through the roof, same thing with GPUs.

It's so bad i think Gaming laptops are looking palatable again. $1000 for a laptop with an i7 Quad and a GTX 1060 which is about %18 slower than the desktop variant. I need a 970 or better right about now. I also need more ram and an SSD. I can either throw $1000 at a mobile solution or a minimum of $500 into my desktop.

I concur..... Wait if you kan. its fucking highway robbery what these crypto miners are doing to the GPU FREE MARKET! We all know there is no free market bunch of baloney!

Back