Upgrading my rig...

incog_negr0

I'm buying Crysis soon and i don't think my 7900GT is going to cover it. I just ordered one of these....
http://www.muotitek.com/estore/control/Muotitek/productdetails?id=65470&srccode=PW

Upping my RAM to 4 GB from 3 and getting a supplemental PSU from thermaltake to handle it all.

Processsor is a Q6600 @ 2.8 GHZ on all 4 cores (on air)

The last thing is the monitor... I'm still using a CRT LOL. Anyone know where to get good deals on a flat panel?

crysis bahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Solid single player, multi player not my favorite. But yeah great graphics. I think anything in the 8 series should be right. Maybe soulz can help you out with more.

First off.. what's your budget? I just purchased a new PC for around 2200 (without shipping, taxes and OS). A good video card will run you anywhere between 100-599. Are you looking to purchase a top of the line processor that will be good for performance or are you a big multi-tasker (quad-core). Do you want a 30 inch + LCD or are you fine with a 22 inch?

My setup that I JUST got setup 2 days ago with the parts you are buying are a 8800 GTX, 5200 AMD X2 @ 2.7 GHz and a PC Power & Cooling 750 Watt PSU.

Judging by your recent purchase you will most likely need a 1000 Watt PSU to run everything in your system. While you can get Quad-Core's fairly cheap nowadays, it is a waste of processing power as hardly any games or applications can utilize one as of yet. I'd highly recommend getting a E6650 and going with either Antec, PC Power & Cooling or Thermaltake for your PSU.

You would have been better off waiting for a 9800 GTX as I really don't see the point of getting an expensive video card like that for a not so noticeable difference.

My 2 cents.

Thx Soulzz... I actually already bought the computer, I'm just upgrading it now.

I bought the Q6600 system as is for $800 about 5 months ago. It's got a 7900GT video card that I installed afterwards, other than that it is how it came. I already ordered that video card, hopefully it gets the job done. The PSU is only 400W, so that needs upgrading. You think I need 1000W? When is the 9800GTX coming out?

The 9800 GTX comes out in late May or mid June so sometime in the summer I think. As for the 1000W, if you are running on a 9800X2 then yes. If you are running with the 9800 GTX a 800 Watt PSU will be sufficient. It's best to look at what the GFX card requires in terms of minimum wattage requirements. I'm currently running this 8800 GTX on a 750 Watt as I stated so 800 - 850 should be plenty for a 9800 GTX.

By the way, the 9800 GTX is going to cost a little more then half of what the 9800 GX2 costs ;).

Guess I should have talked to you guys before I bought the GX2. Seeing as how I don't have an SLI mobo, is my card going to outperform the GTX?

The GX2 will outperform every video card on the market only because it's using 2 GPU's on one card. With that in mind, nothing even now utilizes it well. You wont be sorry getting it, it's just a waste of money in my opinion spending that much on a card for its value.

Well, since I bought this comp at Circuit City, it didn't come with an SLI mobo. Thats why I figured the GX2 is my best bet and I won't have to upgrade that or my processor for a while, even when games come out that do utilize it.

[quote1206473508=FAST]
soulzz you nerd ay? 007 :p lolz 035
[/quote1206473508]

I don't really consider anyone a Nerd or a Geek... those terms mean nothing to me :D.

Back