TBG BIF (beer if forward) Feeler

Bob S.

Hello and thanks for taking a look at the thread.

I am relatively new to the group (6 months or so) but I've fallen in love with the insurgency servers and can only look forward to more interaction with you all.

That being said, other than gaming I have a bit of a hobby (addiction) in craft beer. I've been chatting it up with other players and it seems that I am not the only one. So I figured I would throw out this feeler and see if you all are interested in a Beer It Forward (BIF). The basic premise is pretty simple. Any one seriously interested posts their likes and dislikes or favorite styles of craft beer (in a later thread if officially approved that is). Those users send their private information to the host and a trivial randomization is applied (to be agreed on at a later date). Every one is provided a user to send a box to. That way everyone sends some one else in the list a box of craft beer and every one receives a box as well. It may or may not be from the same person they sent their box to. It can be local or exotic, rare or off the shelf. It doesn't matter as long as it meets the other persons criteria and the minimum OZ's. As always extras are ALWAYS welcome! Every one should get a box equal to or greater than the one then sent out. The idea is to expand your horizons and try beers that may not be available in your area.

Of course there is always the competition of trying to one up the other guy. That is where the beauty lies in a BIF. Think of it as beer karma. The fun is in the mystery and the sharing of great beer.

If this sounds like some thing you would be interested please feel free to post.

Thanks

Bob

Will do, thanks.

Ps I may or may not have numerous aged bottles from each of those two...

OK. So this won't be a thing. Thats fine. Feel free to resurrect it from the dead years to come.

In the mean time any of you back shooters want to do a trade? I can post a list of GOTS but I'd rather keep it a mystery. I've got some aged shit mostly from 2012-2013.

PS. FU Jolly for enjoying PUFF without me.

PSS. What's up with the INS skirmish server? I've had two hours to play all week and it is down? Brah?!?!?

It took a shit last night. We all know that's the real reason you're grumpy.

ALRIGHT what do you want from East Coast/Mid-Atlantic? And don't tell me you want The Alchemist. My local shop gets some Maine Brewing Company bottles in from time to time.

I'm cool with a mystery box too. Lets just set a limit so we are around the same price-range/quantity. I'll send you a message with some details.

I am going to Chicago tomorrow so maybe I can pick a few things up while I'm there.

So guys, Bob and I went through with this and DAMN did he really outdo himself. I was at the bottle shop telling them about this trade I was doing and the clerk told me, "I hope you get some Three Floyds', they are my absolutely favorite. Like some angel of beer, a Fedex box was at my door with three of the very same brewery's bottles!
E2qczpy.jpg

I don't know how I am going to match this, but I am going to try my best. @Bob S. will post when he gets what I am sending him (shhh it's a secret). Feel free to ask for tasting notes and info on any of these, I am slowly working my way through them!

Thanks Bob for the great idea. Hope we get more people on board.

Here is Jolly's box back my way. So many hops so little time... Thanks man I can't wait!

Will pop one of these while gaming tonight if they chill down fast enough or at the very latest during tomorrows football games.

If anyone is interested in getting in on this action feel free to post. We won't need a ton of people to make it entertaining.

Also if anyone wants to trade some untapped info feel free. Mine ID BobSmooth

I was trying to get a BIF (Beer if Forward) going for the TBG members. Personally a nice beer and a good gaming session go hand in hand. I've had many a conversation in-game chats about what beer every one was drinking that particular evening. Here is a chance to share your love for some craft beers that everyone might not have access to.

In a "shotgun BIF," People sign up to be involved and then are assigned a target to ship to. The box you ship must meet the minimum ounce requirement and follow the rules of the BIF (ie- include a glass, shirt, candy, schwag, etc). Everybody ships (and ideally receives) their boxes around the same time.
Basically,
  1. you sign up to join the BIF
  2. you send a message to the creator (host) with your name, address, phone number, shirt size, and any other important info (Any vacation plans that may be an issue, you're favorite and least favorite styles, etc)
  3. you fill out special wants and gots to make it easier for your target to pick beers
  4. you get assigned a target. Check their wants and gots and try to find some beers that you think they'd enjoy and don't have access to.
  5. before the shipping deadline you ship out a box to that person. Drop hints in the thread.
  6. you get a box from some one else. Post the list of contents (include a picture if possible) in the "Hints and Hauls" thread.

In a "traditional BIF," The BIF host will pick a user to ship to and then they will cross their name off the sheet and ship a box to a user of their choosing. This pattern continues until the host receives the final box and the BIF ends.
Or, in step by step directions:
  1. Sign up for the BIF.
  2. Make sure your gots/wants are listed
  3. Send the host all if the pertinent info mentioned in rule 2 above.
  4. The host ships out a box and starts the train. His receiver then picks a target out of the remaining members on the list and sends out a box. This continues until the creator gets the final box and the BIF ends.

Here are some tips for BIFs:
  • "Minimum ounces" is really just the MINIMUM! BIFs are great ways to meet new trading partners-- either the guy you ship to may want to trade or some one saw the haul of what you sent and wants to work something out...

• The fact that BIFs are done in public means it's a chance to show your generosity. Extras are always welcome and can become a bit of a inner competition.

• Whenever possible, post pics of your haul! Listing the contents is great, but a picture says a thousand words! Posting the list AND the pic is nice because then you can mention which beers were off your want list.

• If you're in a traditional BIF, make sure to keep the box moving! Try your best to get a box out within 7-10 days of receiving. Update the hints thread to let the others know of your progress! Waiting for a beer release is cool... But don't let it wait too long-- you can always send a note with the box that you'll send a bottle or two late!
  • If, for whatever reason, you are too busy to handle sending out a box, BM the guy shipping out (around the time he receives) and let him know that you don't want to get a box at the moment. Although no one will ever really know you requested this, we will all thank you for it!

Lets just say I've had a beer cellar for ??? 10 years? And I've been drinking it away, my goal is not to have one at all here shortly. I try and be generous because others were to me along my way.

I have less than this now. Some are still there others never should have been. Anyway, I'm trying to share it with those that appreciate it.

Jolly you are required to enter the BIF if it goes down heh

Ohh and if anyone is weary of providing their information I understand. I'm sure we can find an Admin to play host if need be.

Last edited:
I'd be down for BIF... We've got some decent brews out here in the NYC/NJ area I can get get my hands on...

Back