Racing Wheel Discussion

HeatSurge

Hey,

With the upcoming release of rFactor 2 and just in general I've been itching to play some driving sims and since I don't have one I am interested in purchasing a wheel. Maybe not right now, but when I get a job I'll probably get one with the first paycheck.

I've been using Logitech Rumblepad 2 analog sticks before to play some obviously non-serious rFactor and GTR Evo / Race On. I managed to become pretty decent with all assists off, but the small analog sticks are just too imprecise for the demanding nature of sims, and ultimately not as enjoyable as a wheel.

I'm basically looking for something pretty decent, at about $150 or less.

One of the more popular wheels is Logitech G25, but to be honest I actually like the look of this more:

Ferrari F430 Force Feedback Racing Wheel PC / Playstation? 3 | Thrustmaster

I've looked up a few reviews and obviously there are better wheels out there (if I was willing to spend the money I'd probably go with the Fanatec one) but for the money the F430 looks pretty good to me.

My requirements are:
- Decent force feedback mechanism (preferably no "notchy/gear feel")
- Recreate F1 style of the late 90's (post-manual gear era), so MUST have paddles, not interested in H-shifter much and not interested in clutch pedal much either
- Good quality construction, including pedals - at least the face should be metal.

The F430 seems to have it all and it's about $100 brand new which is pretty decent. Does anyone have any experiences with it or other wheels? What do the sim people in TBG use?

I have a Ferrari GT Experience wheel and I love it, I just hardly ever race anymore. Its a little cheaper made than the one you linked to (mine has plastic pedals), but its very good nonetheless. I'd definitely recommend Thrustmaster products.

G27 here, Wouldn't live with anything less. Did the 24 hour nurburgring race in GT5 with it lol

I can't race fake cars with a wheel. Force feedback doesn't really communicate the same way when the road talks to you. That combined with the lack of sensation from the rest of the car throws me off. I have to stick with a game pad like the old days. Only game I could use a wheel on is the Initial D arcade games.

One of the car companies that just finished their drive by wire said the hardest thing is the feel.

Holy shit necro. Bought a Driving Force GT like more than a year ago, the pedals suck but the wheel is great. I haven't really used it much, actually have been eyeballing some things. I might, or might not. Not much time/motivation to play games lately :-< .

Back when I played racing games this was my choice, nothing special but very serviceable.

iu

I read that the Thrustmaster wheels feel notchy and aren't as solidly made, except that $500 belt-driven shit they have which is probably good :-D . But I gather Logitech or really Fanatec is where it's at.

Back