My latest dumpster find: i5-6500, 8GB DDR4, 256GB nVME SSD

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
So on my way out of work I decided to check the usual pile. 2 newer looking dells stood out. First one with a newer i5 logo and one with an older i3 logo. So of course you know which one I grabbed.

At a glance it looked like the drive had been removed. But going to check the ram revealed an m.2 SSD. Not a slow one either. 1700 MB/s read and 750 MB/s write supposedly.

Pic:
20181201_231707.jpg

The drive is likely to end up in my gaming desktop. So maybe the Z170 mobo with have better performance. The write speeds were not impressive but the stated read speed is sort of confirmed:
upload_2018-12-1_21-19-24.png

Edit I ran windows defrag to manually cause TRIM, another bench a few seconds later 516 MB/s write. So it does get a tad better.

upload_2018-12-1_21-27-52.png

Last edited:
So my main rig swears up and down nothing is in the m.2 slot. But it boots and a quick bench reveals the write speeds are better on this side of the fence... sometime:
upload_2018-12-2_4-9-58.png

Don't mind the partition size. I scaled it back to clone the Dell install to another SSD going into it.

Last edited:
Took me awhile to get a read on it but 71 power cycle count which probably includes 10 or so here. This fucking thing never got used:
upload_2018-12-2_16-3-14.png

New uefi settings may have helped performance a bit too:
upload_2018-12-2_16-19-27.png

Last edited:
So my main rig swears up and down nothing is in the m.2 slot. But it boots and a quick bench reveals the write speeds are better on this side of the fence... sometime:
View attachment 14879
Don't mind the partition size. I scaled it back to clone the Dell install to another SSD going into it.
Probably just a bios issue. I had one MB that you had to do 5 extra steps...pia to get the the NVME to be seen by the mb but yeah, booted into Win10 just fine.

Edit: good find though :)

i still dont get why people throw shit like this away.....if its not even 5 years old its worth fixing.....

Probably just a bios issue. I had one MB that you had to do 5 extra steps...pia to get the the NVME to be seen by the mb but yeah, booted into Win10 just fine.

Edit: good find though :)

I flipped a couple of settings to force UEFI on storage which allowed the drive to show up in the boot list and some software to see the SMART data. Technically it's not in sata mode so that might be why its not showing up in the SATA listings... The change also allowed the firmware updater to see the drive. I couldn't even get that working on the Dell so I'd assume I headed in the right direction.

The manual is useless for this board. Says almost nothing. The cryptic mention of SATA 2 confuses me since the SATA ports starts at 3 and ends with 6. What other point is it sharing with? lol
47317610_2244926675743327_433353764850630656_n.jpg

i still dont get why people throw shit like this away.....if its not even 5 years old its worth fixing.....

My office is mostly equipped with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge machines that were acquired in dispositions. On a good day that's mostly what I find in ecycle at my current clients site. It had 7 Enterprise so it was definitely one of their machines and not a students. Definitely a surprise to see something this new. I haven't done any extensive testing on it yet. But the SSD alone was worth hauling it home.

Last edited:
Back