I need some Laptop Advice....

Rocinante

OK, so I am going insane out here, I've tapped through all on of my entertainment. And know I'm faced with buying a laptop so I can actually get some gaming in. I've never bought a new laptop, to be truthful I haven't ever bought even a used one. This one was given to me by my sister. This laptop barely runs windows let alone any game. SO I've decided that I am going to buy a new laptop and was wanting some of you guys opinions on the choice I am considering.

Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G73SW-XN2 Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M

Brand- ASUS
Series-G Series
CPU Type- Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz
Screen - 17.3" FHD
Memory- 8GB DDR3
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M(1.5 GB dedicated)

For a cost of $1250 , Do you guys think this is a decent buy? I could really use your guys help, like I said I never bought a laptop before.

Thanks

RC Rigdon

For shit ans giggles, My passmark score on this current laptop is 371.9, lol. I get 13 FPS in BF2 wtih all settings on low. Just terrible....

I've looked on few websites for goodies like this and so far, it looks like what you got. But personnally, by experience, I always buy my laptops on futureshop or bestbuy. Because they sell a lot, they got the lowest price. (usually) Cant connect to futurshop.com, it keeps redirecting me to «.ca» but I found one which the vid card is higher than your for the same price.
CyberpowerPC Gamer Xplorer 17.3" Intel Core i7 2630QM Laptop (GX9200) - Black : 17" Laptops - Future Shop

It is possible for me to reach the us best buy so I found this
Asus - Laptop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor / 17.3" Display / 8GB Memory / 1TB Hard Drive - G74SX-BBK7
8gb of ddr3 wow
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M nice
better shit I think

So RC ?
The second one is way better for the same price ?

The G74 just came out can't tell you too much about it. The G73 sandy bridge version is good shit be aware they had some production issues prior to the sandy bridge version things like the lvds cable being bad.

Most of the people with G73's swear by them they run cool the rear hinge exhaust is a great setup. In that price category the 460M or 560M are the second best gpu's on the market pure performance wise. Only the 6970 mobile is better without juming into another price range.

If you want to talk to some ASUS G73/74 owners hit up Notebookreview.com's forums in the asus section were always happy to help find someone a new laptop. Give the MSI GT683R (15 inch) or MSI GT780R a look as well MEAT just picked up a more loaded GT780R and loves it the 683 was my choice before deciding to build a desktop.

The i7-2630QM is an awesome cpu and I dont think its worth spending the money on an upgrade from it unless your really trying to burn cash.

This laptop looks sooooo nice with the 2 fan hole at the back

The G73 I know has 2 HHD bays & I'm not sure if the G74 does; but, if the G74 does...no brainer

hello man,i think thats resonable price for that,but,before you go head and buy that,i would recommand you check WWW.kijjiji.com you could get the same,brand new or maybe lil used for 800 bucks,just a recomandation you dont have to buy its worth a check,i do lots of bussines with that website

cheers buli

Yes I think one beaver showed me, and the one I bought has raid 0 and a 120Hz monitor, so it is 3D capable. Something I might explore in the future. So with buying from best buy, I received a $100 gift card too. I was sold on that, I can always use gift cards, lol. And best buy said they was going to expedite shipping cause I'm in Iraq. SO overall shipping only cost $15. Which in turn, newegg will not ship computers to APO addresses.

Thanks guys for your help :).

Good shit dude be sure to hit up the asus forums on notebookreview if you need an help with anything specific. They have resellers and customer support members who come on the forum.

The ASUS RoG forum exists as well but the sites constantly down and populated with idiots.

Yes the ROG website has been that way for a while. I have to remember my login though, signed up when I bought a ROG board 3 years ago.

so; I've been debating a new laptop & looking at this thread. I want to keep it below 2 grand, so that leaves out Alienware. I love Alienware's hardware but don't like the price. MSI have some impressive laptops but didn't like the 15.6" screen. I stubbled across this Asus G74SX Notebook Intel Core i7-2630QM, 640GB, 17.3" - Black - Sam's Club=
Not the 120hz model; but $700 cheaper; I would have to put my 120GB SSD & 320GB x7200RPM dives in;

so; I've been debating a new laptop & looking at this thread. I want to keep it below 2 grand, so that leaves out Alienware. I love Alienware's hardware but don't like the price. MSI have some impressive laptops but didn't like the 15.6" screen. I stubbled across this Asus G74SX Notebook Intel Core i7-2630QM, 640GB, 17.3" - Black - Sam's Club=
Not the 120hz model; but $700 cheaper; I would have to put my 120GB SSD & 320GB x7200RPM dives in;

MSI makes 17 inch models with the same specs as their 15 inch. The MSI GT683R and GT780R have the i7-2630QM and GTX 560M. Along with the MSI's being available with the 570M now. 580M pretty much a Sager exclusive unless you go dell/aw.

Youll love the Alienware hardware until you find out for some damned reason you cant play games you should be able to or even at all lol. Was the case with the M11x, M15x and M17x R2 not sure how the sandy bridge R3 as well as the all new M14x and M18x worked out. Traditionally unless your an alienware fanboy be prepared to cry, but as with all manufacturers hope you get a good one.

I know you like your old one.

MSI have some impressive options compared to the ASUS; audio & keyboard really stick out

Back