I have a computer hoarding problem.

RainMotorsports

Leadership
Leadership
When do you actually give up on a computer? If it works and can run the latest OS faster than the latest cheapo... why kill it?

Now that I have the HP ZBook I got for free. I finally have a laptop that can play games again. Even if that is mostly games that are at least 5 years old. I am mulling over getting rid of my old gaming laptop from 2009:
FireShot Capture 11 - RainMotorsports (Clutch'.png

The only thing wrong with it is the battery is shot. Which kind of makes it useless. It runs better than $250 laptops that have the same amount of CPU power. It's still powerful GPU wise for a laptop but its not portable at all. I was using it as a media server (has 2 drive bays + eSATA).

I sorta think about jamming it into a bartop arcade setup:
DSC_9159.jpg

Our current list of computers:
Desktop i7/GTX770
Desktop i5/RX460
Desktop Core2Quad/GTX570 (New Media Server)
Desktop Core2Duo (Dead and for some reason never made it to the dump)

Laptop HP ZBook i7/Quadro K2100
Laptop ASUS G50VT C2D/9800M
Laptop Toshiba AMD A6
Laptop ASUS Quad Core "Pentium"
Laptop Compaq Celeron
Laptop Compaq Atom

Tablet WinBook Baytrail/Windows 10
Tablet ASUS Transformer Android
Tablet ASUS Intel Atom/Android

I am sure if I dug more I would find more. The Celeron laptop is used as entertainment for the kid. The ASUS quad core was my laptop until recently. The Toshiba was given to me for free and it replaced it. Will probably be Liz's laptop next.

Last edited:

HAH that would be me if I had a choice sometimes. A few months ago I went through my boxes of cables and ditches extras of everything. Fast forward to now I only have 2 25 foot DVI cords and I am really regretting throwing all those brand new ones away since I got 7 monitors for free.

Back