CPU Fan Error???

darksteppa1

I'm pretty sure half of you know about this computer....I have NO idea whats going on with my computer. First I'm having static freeze ups and when I woke up this morning to turn on my computer, it stated that there's a "CPU Fan Error" took me to BIOS and, I have no idea what to do, So I exited BIOS without saving. Can someone help me out here on fixing this issue with my CPU fan and static freeze ups? I've looked at my fans, they are working. I'm lost! HELP would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how to work with BIOS. I don't want to screw things up. I think the freeze ups have to do with registry errors.

@RainMotorSports @Soulzzz - Please Help!

You say you have looked at your fans but have you checked the one sitting on the cpu cooler? Thats the one thats going to throw the cpu fan error, the bios hardly cares about case fans. The CPU overheating can cause freeze ups.

Make sure the CPU fan is connected securely to the motherboard-there's writing that says, oddly enough, "cpu fan". Make sure that connection is secure. If it is, then maybe that fan is going bad and is faulty. Is this the cpu cooler/fan that came with the cpu or is it an aftermarket one? If it's the one that came with the CPU I would just replace the damn thing with an aftermarket cooler. If it's an aftermarket cooler then just change out the fan itself and leave the cpu cooler in place as it is already.

I do not wish to be a horrible dick, but check the thermal paste and be sure that the heatsink is in touch with it.

I do not wish to be a horrible dick, but check the thermal paste and be sure that the heatsink is in touch with it.

He isn't going to pull the cpu cooler off I can already tell you that. Soulzz built the machine for him. But overheating also won't cause a cpu fan error on the bios from cold boot unless the board itself is also done for.

Mnyeah, so it is either a messed up motherboard or software issue.

Mnyeah, so it is either a messed up motherboard or software issue.

Or a dead fan or a shorting connector on said fan. Short can cause both the message and a total machine freeze, which is why sixer suggests checking the connector.

i would have wrote that but i got this damn weird keyset. >D

^ lol... anyway.

There's RPM monitoring software, "speedfan" comes to mind. Also your mobo comes with one most likely.

I think in speedfan anyway you can set up an alarm if it falls below a treshold or just log the CPU fan speed to a file. Doesn't hurt to try that and see if it stops on its own before the computer freezes. Requires no effort except to install and configure the program. Since it's a "generic" program the configuring is a little challenging if I remember correctly, if someone didn't submit a hardware "preset" for your mobo... but try that.

Back