Comcast to roll out faster Internet.

ErikStenger

Comcast Corp. on Wednesday said it will begin rolling out faster Internet speeds over the next few weeks in selected markets to homes and businesses.

The nation's largest cable operator and residential Internet service provider will offer speeds up to 50 megabits per second, which enables users to download a high-definition movie in 16 minutes and a standard definition movie in 5 minutes.

Most Comcast customers will double their speeds for free.

The service will be available in parts of New England, including the Boston area and southern New Hampshire, as well as in portions of Philadelphia, New Jersey and the Twin Cities in Minnesota. Over the next few months, Comcast expects to roll it out to over 10 major markets.

For residential users, Comcast's new 'Extreme 50' tier, including up to 10 Mbps upstream service, will cost $139.95 a month. For businesses, it will cost $189.95 monthly, including extra features and support.

The 'Ultra' plan for individuals will offer speeds up to 22 Mbps for downloading and up to 5 upstream for $62.95 a month. The business "premium" tier will offer the same speeds for $99.95 a month.

To get the new Internet plans, individuals must also subscribe to Comcast's cable TV service.

Holy shit, $140 per month just for Internet?

That's quite a bit.

What is the bigger question though, is whether the bandwidth will still have the 250GB combined limit that Comcast is currently also "rolling out" silently - i.e. if you download/upload over 250GB combined for a month, you're warned and then banned for a year from Comcast.

It wouldn't make much sense imo to have higher speeds with the limit.

For playing games, ping is more important than bandwidth anyway. The new service might be the same or actually worse, depending on the ping it provides. BF2142 actually just needs about 20KB/160Kb/.160Mb down and 10KB/80Kb/.08Mb up from my obervation...

i hope it makes it over to IL. im on 20mb down already tho. about $50/month.

I live in a small town (30,000) in Arizona, and all we have is some lame Cable Company and Frontier DSL. Both are horrible speeds. I can't wait to friggin move away from this town :p Also, that Internet would be worth it if you torrent a lot :)

Back