Truck help

bot102

Well gents, I sold my last truck before I went to boot camp, now that I am 8 months in and settled down in the fleet, I am looking for a new/used truck again.

Preferably I am looking for a Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6, 2007 or newer, under 120k miles, and for around $15k. I have been searching my ass off, both and home and around here, but everything is just way to god damn expensive. Insurance for myself is going to be around $380 a month, plus a car payment so I can't really move on the price I can afford.

This is where I ask some of you who can help out. If anyone knows anyone selling a truck of any kind for that matter that fits the same criteria as the Tacoma, please let me know. Or better yet, if anyone works at a dealership or knows someone who does that might be able to help me out or make a deal, please let me know!

Thanks!

Have you tried edmunds or truecar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes I have. There are a few trucks in the right ball park. Just not that good prices.

What about carmax?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My best advice is to get away from Camp Lejeune local dealers and salesmen. They know who you are and its likely you will not find the best deals outside the gate. The only caveat to this would be the on base "lemon lot" as we formerly called it. GI's get orders and can't take the vehicle with them often leaving you with just taking over payments or a low upfront cost. Most AF bases have an area where you're allowed to advertise and sale your vehicle. Haven't been to Camp Lejeune in years but there was one in the BX/PX parking lot but don't know if it still there or elsewhere. Make sure to check the Raleigh area for listings and possibly a wider choice.

Good luck on that price. I was looking at Tacoma here in memphis and most were in the 18-22k range

I'd also shop around on insurance. 380 is very very steep.

As for trucks... I'll see if I can do some searching for you. What area are you looking at? All through the US? Or are you looking in a specific area

Local classified ads in whatever newspaper/newsthing source is popular where you live, or craigslist.

If you're buying privately, you also inherit all the risk, so be careful though and make up your mind to walk away if you don't like the deal - and probably a good idea to take a look at the internals carefully.

You could check out some used trucks having a warranty in nearby dealerships.

Last edited:
Appreciate the help gents. Will respond a bit more in dept later, at a rehearsal for our BC changing right now.

Scotty, looks like a good truck, will have to see how the insurance turns out with under a 2007 model.

Issuance, no matter where I go, is really high because I am 18 years old, live on a military base, and hardly have any credit.

Us Vet's have been there. It wasn't until after my first Med Cruise to afford a car. After putting money away and only paying my bills for 6 months I was able to buy my first car in cash.

The insurance companies lost a lawsuit years ago (late 80's) about having higher rates for people living on base. They were jacking rates because they could get away with it because you were required to show proof of insurance to drive onto base. They lost because it was proven that base had overall lower accident rates, lower speed limits and much higher enforcement. I would seriously question the rates or stay on your parents policy for a while.

@Scottyweeone (Charlie) were you at Lejeune as well?

Bot, for the insurance take a look at USAA if you haven't already. They only cater to military and their immediate families.

I know the feeling though about insurance as a young guy. My first vehicle the insurance was $373 a month and that was back in the early nineties.

I'd also shop around on insurance. 380 is very very steep.

As for trucks... I'll see if I can do some searching for you. What area are you looking at? All through the US? Or are you looking in a specific area

IDK, that's what I used to pay when I was his age and single but it never hurts to shop around.

I'm single as well Sixer. My parents and I have been looking at everywhere. GEICO was cheaper than USAA. Even myself being on my parents insurance was expensive as hell.
At this point, if I am going to be able to get into any truck, I'd be happy. Fitting that criteria from the first post.

My first assignment was California in the late 80s. I didn't even bother with a car the first year due to the insurance costs. Even after turning 20, a $700 Ford Pinto was still costing me $$$ on insurance. Needles to say I road a bike everywhere on base and off in the local area. The plus side of riding a bike was that you couldn't get a DUI riding through the main gate after many beers from one of the local watering holes!

Odd. My insurance wasn't more than $150 a mo ever Until I got a cdl. It went up a bit then. once I hit 25 it dropped a lot. I think I pay $72.00 a month now.

Then again no tickets no accidents and several discounts through statefarm.

Yeah. I don't know what the deal is. I have had my license 2 years, perfect driving record.

I guess the insurance doesn't really matter if I can't find a truck at this point.

Back